starting strength gym

Thread: Form check Squat, Press, Deadlift, Barbell row.

Wink Form check Squat, Press, Deadlift, Barbell row.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello guys, i just started starting strenght novice program and i want to know what you guys think about techique of mine? Be harsh if needed

Squat:
    YouTube

Press:
    YouTube

Deadlift:
    YouTube

Barbell row:
    YouTube

I know i know i should do powercleans, i intend to start doing them in begining of week 5.So next week:
    My starting to curent weights in kg's are:

Squat :60->85
    Bench Press:65->75
    Deadlift:67,5->90
    Press:40->50
    barebel row:40->60

Thank you guys in advance, superb forum and awesome program, finnaly some bigger picture in sense of goal and motivation!
    Kind regards

I'm no expert so don't act on my suggestion alone. This is just my novice observation, but your squat looks like you're doing the same thing I'm doing. You unlock at your hips first and your knees don't get in position within the first 1/3 of you descent. I believe this causes loss of tension and really impacts the bounce out of the hole. This is something I'm really struggling with and it honestly didn't bother me (pain wise) until the weight got to be about 1.25 x my body weight. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I realized there was a problem.

edit:

Also you should address your unracking of the bar before you start. I think a staggered position will lead to it's own set of issues.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 02-07-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Where should i unlock first? I am strugling to start with my pelvis to go up first, it doesnt look like i do right ? Do you have your video anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by john85 View Post
    Where should i unlock first? I am strugling to start with my pelvis to go up first, it doesnt look like i do right ? Do you have your video anywhere?
    Do you mean when you're in the hole and starting to ascend?

I can provide the links if you want to see poor squat mechanics. It's here. View at your own risk ;-)

Look at JP's post in my thread. Hips shouldn't unlock first, the knees have catch up hence the travel at the bottom. They should hit the position over the knees (varies by body type) within the first 1/3 of the movement. You'd then lower yourself with hip movement which is something I haven't quite nailed down yet. I'll but trying the TUBOW method over the next couple of days to see if that improves my form and alleviates knee pain.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 02-07-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Mark covers knee position and how it relates to hip drive extensively on page 51 of the 3rd Edition. It's clear I have to re-read that, but he does talk about the TUBOW method for people who struggle to get their knees in proper position during the first 1/3 of the movement and how it impacts hip drive.

starting strength coach development program
    Anyone else?