Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    60KG:

70KG (Began to shoot from the middle of the set):

I think im not using hip drive.

Your bar placement is high, and your method of getting under the bar is making it awkward to get it in the right place. Watch this video to see how to get under the bar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh4bm-lE2c

Watch this one to see where the bar is supposed to be:
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

Try to squat a little deeper.

You have a tendency to drift backwards as you come up; it's especially bad in the 2nd rep in the 2nd video. Instead of doing that, try to drive your hips straight up.

They looked kinda alright to me, a bit wobbly. Just needs practice I think. I actually consider going backwards a good indicator of "hip drive".

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I actually consider going backwards a good indicator of "hip drive".
    Ass driving UP is very different from ass driving BACK. UP means the hip is “active” and helping to drive the movement. BACK usually means you’re initiating the movement out of the hole with too much of the effort in the quads and your adductors and glutes are slacking. It’s kind of the opposite of hip drive.

It’s easy to confuse

A) someone driving up with the hips but having problems keeping the chest up, ending up with the bar too far out toward the toes, and then shifting the hips back in order to compensate

vs.

B) someone starting the movement with too much quad and not enough hip and therefore driving his hips back when he should be driving them up.

But there is a difference.

I could be wrong, since we have crappy video here, but it looks to me that the OP is doing B.
    Last edited by Gunnhild Bruno; 02-26-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: I’m starting to repeat myself in my old age

How does the squat now?

Tell your friend to let go of the wood, don't have your feet out do wide, and setup better for a better low bar if that's what you are trying to do.

OK, I know the "Bit" in TUBOW is not very specific, but it should have been obvious that it doesn't stand for "plank". Get a block that will stand up on its own. Also, it'll help if it's a bit taller.

Once that's done, make sure you touch it 1/3 of the way down and then keep your knee there for the rest of the way down without knocking it over.

Also, please don't use wandering camera work. Re-read the stickies about the angles that are most helpful for the squat, and film each work set from a different helpful angle.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    Tell your friend to let go of the wood, don't have your feet out do wide, and setup better for a better low bar if that's what you are trying to do.
    This block I found in the gym, and he can not stand alone so my friend holding him. What do you mean set up better? How can I improve my set up? (I try to do Low Bar)
    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    OK, I know the "Bit" in TUBOW is not very specific, but it should have been obvious that it doesn't stand for "plank". Get a block that will stand up on its own. Also, it'll help if it's a bit taller.

Once that's done, make sure you touch it 1/3 of the way down and then keep your knee there for the rest of the way down without knocking it over.

Also, please don't use wandering camera work. Re-read the stickies about the angles that are most helpful for the squat, and film each work set from a different helpful angle.
    I will try to get a new block of wood as soon as possible. Sorry about the bad angle, I asked from Dumb man shooting the film And what came out, Next time I'd lay the camera on a bench

Go to the main page, click resources, then videos. Watch the squat videos. Do you have the book? DVD?

starting strength coach development program
    I read the book and I saw the DVD and the most videos on the site.
    Bar Position looks good anf feel good to me, and Bar is above the middle of the foot so I do not know what to change in the set-up, would love if you tell me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast