starting strength gym

Thread: Week 2 NP. Squat/deadlift form check

Default Week 2 NP. Squat/deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Thank you to those of you who are taking the time to help me. I have read the starting strength book and I am on week 2 of the novice progression. I am a seasoned lifter but starting the program as a novice. I’m 6’ 190 lbs with extreme foot over pronation and feet as flat as can be. The lifts are 245 lbs squat and 255 lbs deadlift. Lifting shoes and belt are on the way. Feel free to shred my form. I want to learn to lift as correctly as possible.

Squat
    YouTube
    Deadlift
    YouTube

Thanks again,

Salman

Re-posting the videos. Something went wring in the first post.

squat

YouTube

deadlift

YouTube

Squats - put the hooks one notch lower. Narrow your stance by about half the width of your feet. Start by breaking at the hips and knees simultaneously and immediately get bent over. Stop your knees' forward travel by the time you're halfway down and don't let them go past your toes. Keep your knees there until you're halfway back up.

Deadlift - after your shins come to the bar, don't lower your hips. Interestingly, your hips do better at staying high after the first rep. Get tighter, make the last half of the pull go faster, lock out harder, and set the bar down quicker.

Thank you Jeff.

Regarding my squat Stance, because of my severe overpronation it’s almost impossible for me to keep my heels on the floor and squat down with my feet any closer to each other. Even with no weight and holding on to a bar in front of me it is nearly impossible to get into that squat position with my feet any closer together. The rest I will work on. Any suggestions on the pronation issue?

Regarding the deadlifts, it always seems like the first rep is difficult, and the following reps feel much more smooth. It must be a mental block I have to work on.

Try weightlifting shoes.

For the deadlift, the first rep is harder because you aren't set up right for it. The others are closer to right.

starting strength coach development program
    I ordered the do wins and a belt from rogue but both were too large and I returned them. Both properly sized shoes and belt arrive tomorrow. I’m looking forward to using them. Thank you for the feedback. I’m going to work on my form for the next few workouts and repost form videos again. Hopefully they’ve improved. Thank you Jeff!!