starting strength gym

Thread: Need Squat/ Knee Advice

Default Need Squat/ Knee Advice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Posted this in another forum and was told I should post it here, so here goes...

Ok I have searched the crap outta this site even on Google using the method outlined by this site. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for so I am going to post my question here.

I was told by an Orthopod who cleaned out my knee to never squat (with weights) again.( he says due to shear forces at 90 degrees) I can do partial leg presses and I can deadlift all I want he says. The knee issues were patellar pain and pain with my plica. Doc removed the medial plica, fixed two Meniscus tears ( one was 20% one was 30%). He was going to clean up the underside of the patella when he found a small area of Grade 3-4 Chondro. Grade 4 being down to the bone. Doc said he drilled some holes to create bleeding so new cartilage would grow.

Now from my searches have shown that Coach Rip has said that squatting in his opinion has helped chondro which I have. I am trying to get back throwing in the highland games so pulling and pressing are covered but I need to squat.

Any advice by Coach etal would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if I haven't given enough info or if I missed a post truly addressing this issue in depth somewhere.

How old are you, and is this your first knee surgery, how long have you been training, what are your best recent lifts, and what is your bodyweight?

Coach, 42 the 31st of this month.

First surgery on this knee.

I have trained off and on since I was about 19.

Best recent lifts at a BW of about 190lbs Bench, 300, Squat 405x3 Deadlift 405x3 (spent most of my time throwing)

Currently I am at 233.3 this morning at a height of 5'9" Unfortunately I have put on quite a bit due to in activity. Haven't lifted seriously since June when the Knee was worked on. Would like to get just under 200lbs again.

You are 7 months post-op, having not tried to squat?

I don't know if my last reply made it through, sorry if this is a re post. No sir I haven't tried to squat yet as Orthopod says not to squat anymore. I just dont have a ton of faith in these guys when it comes to lifting so I wanted to get your advice. Would like to try to get back after it on Monday

If you can sit back, stay out of your knees, and drive your hips up you'll probably be okay. At any rate, we'll know after the workout.

Ok Coach, Will start light and give it a few workouts. If squatting is painful for the patella I take it squatting will be a no go from now on? If so are there alternitives for effective leg strength?

starting strength coach development program
    There are no alternatives to the squat. The alternatives are squatting incorrectly and squatting correctly.