starting strength gym

Thread: Pulling in WL shoes

Default Pulling in WL shoes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi coaches. Did a search and couldn't find this particular answer.

I recently bought WL shoes (Nike Romaleos 2; 0.75" heel). I've always deadlifted in socks before.

My deadlift 5RM (on SS program) is 160kg (352lb), and I've recently added 2-3 backoff sets at 20kg less (44lb less) than my working weight.

I warmed up in the shoes, approached 160kg working weight, and it wouldn't break the floor (I could have done a reasonably ugly 1RM if I pushed myself). Kicked the shoes off and proceeded to do the 5rm.

In those that get a benefit from pulling in shoes, is it apparent immediately? (ie, should I abandon future efforts at pulling in WL shoes since it'll always be suboptimal), or something that develops with time?
    I think I may end up doing my main set in socks, then the backoff sets in the shoes and see what I find..

For true Novices, I've only seen pulling in shoes to have an immediate positive impact. For those, like yourself, who have already developed some pulling strength, it doesn't always do so. I suspect because it changes the mechanics slightly but just enough that the adjustment needs to be gotten used to.

I like pulling in my shoes (1/2" heel), and always start anyone I coach that way. But for a more advanced lifter, what you choose will ultimately be up to you and what works better for you. This will require experimentation doing both, so your idea to do the work set in socks and some lighter back-offs in shoes isn't a bad one. Depending on your stage of advancement and program, be careful you're not doing too much pulling volume.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-11-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll possibly update this thread in four or so months time when I get more experience pulling in both shoes and socks, for purpose of relaying the experience/outcome to anyone in my predicament who is searching the boards.

I have the Nike Romaleos shoes too. I love squatting in them but had to put them aside for pulling. The heel is just too high (Steve Hill calls them "pumps") and they tend to push me too far forward. I now pull in Chucks.

I pull about 200 kilos for a double. Tried pulling in socks and failed. Shoes are a must for me.

I actually failed 160 kilos in socks. Must be just how used to shoes I am.