starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check and failure.

Default Squat form check and failure.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys,I've been following SS now for around 5 months and i was making decent gains.

Some stats:

38 y/o
    104kg (230lbs)

My lifts
    squat: 60kg->132.5kg
    bench: 50kg->87.5kg
    Deadlift: 80kg->140kg(lagging a little)
    press: 40kg->63.5kg
    power clean: 50kg->70kg

Basically its come to the point where all lifts are feeling particularly heavy and where my form is constantly compromised.I was squatting for a PR the other day @135kg and my back went out on the last rep so ive been recuperating since then.

I have 2 vids.One showing a workset at 132.5kg and another at 135kg when my back gave way.I would really appreciate some advice on form because i want to lift for the long term but obviously i need my back in one piece.

I think part of my problem here was that i good morning'd the bar on the ascent,moreso than usual with an overextended back.I totally ruined my barbell also

Thanks in advance guys.

The biggest problem I see is that you aren't letting your knees come forward far enough at the start of the descent. You are trying to keep your shins way too vertical. It looks like its causing you to be balanced on your heels too. Think mid-foot and knees slightly forward.
    Last edited by Tbrenner; 03-31-2011 at 04:45 PM.

What Tbrenner said. Also, all of your reps are very high, and you do a funny hip thrust out of the hole. But yeah, bend at the knee, bend over more with your torso, and go much deeper.

Tbrenner,thx for that,i will definately try and get my knees out a bit more.
    JStrong,i really cant get much deeper without unlocking my back tighness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrenner View Post
    You are trying to keep your shins way too vertical.
    Bingo. Now, why is that happening, OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Bingo. Now, why is that happening, OP?
    Hey Carlos,
    You know its weird,as im learning,im constantly changing my cues until i find something im comfortable with.In this case the reason my shins are so vertical is because i break at the hips 1st.I find this is the only way i can maintain a tight posterior chain.
    I know i should be breaking at the hips and knees at the same time but it seems not to work for me well.I think i have short femurs or something.

Quote Originally Posted by chubby bones View Post
    Hey Carlos,
    You know its weird,as im learning,im constantly changing my cues until i find something im comfortable with.In this case the reason my shins are so vertical is because i break at the hips 1st.I find this is the only way i can maintain a tight posterior chain.
    I know i should be breaking at the hips and knees at the same time but it seems not to work for me well.I think i have short femurs or something.
    Short femurs and a long back which it looks like you have is going to make you have more of a vertical torso, I wouldn't worry about that though. Don't get yourself confused with a bunch of different cues, try thinking mid-foot and knees slightly forward. That should fix your problems and i'm pretty sure its going to fix your depth issue as well. When your back gets better get another video up on here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbrenner View Post
    Short femurs and a long back which it looks like you have is going to make you have more of a vertical torso, I wouldn't worry about that though. Don't get yourself confused with a bunch of different cues, try thinking mid-foot and knees slightly forward. That should fix your problems and i'm pretty sure its going to fix your depth issue as well. When your back gets better get another video up on here.
    Will do buddy,thx.