starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check; hip flexor and knee pain

Default squat form check; hip flexor and knee pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Front: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixu5YRjQqwA
    Side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1KsGUs8eBE

I have 2 issues I'm trying to work out. The first is a nagging pain on the outside of my left knee, and only my left knee. This first appeared when I started training with kettlebells, thus I discontinued use of them. Over time, the pain went away as my legs became untrained. I recently bought and read SS and began training the technique and workouts found in it. The feeling in my hamstrings when I squatted more deeply was an eye-opener and I assumed my knee would respond positively over time as my legs became stronger as a whole. But the pain has reappeared within the past couple of workouts, and is now felt getting out of chairs, walking up stairs, etc. My hope is that if I can correct lingering form problems, the pain will resolve itself.

The other issue is hip flexor soreness. I started squatting at 85 and in roughly 2 weeks progressed to 135. When I was at 115/125, I noticed excessive hip flexor soreness between workouts, compared to no longer feeling any soreness in the rest of my legs (i.e. the hamstrings). When I reached 145, I was unable to complete a single set; it felt as if my flexors were bearing all the weight by themselves.

These clips were taken on the following workout. I assumed I had not been concentrating enough on hip drive and tried to reassert that element of my squat, but the flexor pain was a constant presence. I held myself to 95 pounds, where I seemed to have a balance between the weight still being a real effort but the pain in my flexors not getting out of control.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not really an advanced lifter but I figured I'd just give my 2 cents (and keep this thread bumped for help)

I could be wrong, but the bar looks a little high, if you're trying to do low bar squats? If it is the case (it's hard for me to tell from the video angle) then that *might* be the cause of some of your trouble.

You may want to do some stretching to help with your hip flexor pain, it can only help.

A few stretches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5EO8mPonO0

Are you eating enough?

djay: thanks. When I've been squatting, the bar is in line with the top of my shoulder blades. As I understood the book, that's where it should be for low bar squat. Is that right?

shootwillis: I believe so. Around 4k calories a day, lots of eggs, meat, oats, rice, milk, fish, fruit and vegetables, etc. Why do you ask?

Sometimes hard to explain pains come from not intaking enough calories for proper recovery.

Your problems do not seem to be a technique issue. Maybe some form of sciatica.

Form looks fine. I'd give the stretching linked above a go. Also pick yourself up a foam roll and roll your legs out a bit - put a little more effort in hitting the glutes, hams, quads, and but especially IT band on your left leg. Tons of instructional videos on youtube for this. This can help with both the knee and flexor. I have a long history of knee problems and the foam roll has helped a lot.

For the knee - consider other physical activities that you do on a daily/weekly basis (running,sports, etc.). The pain may present itself while lifting, but lifting may only be one of many contributing factors.

Pull14: thanks. A foam roller definitely sounds worth a try.

Two things: you need to let your knees travel forward at the top. Search: TUBOW or Knees First. B) Your squats range from high, to just at parallel, to an eensy weensy bit below parallel. Hit your depth, every time.

jp

starting strength coach development program
    You're right, I went back through SS and found Rippetoe's discussion of the flexor issue and the "tubow." Unfortunately I'm not sure my gym has anything like that, but I'll keep an eye out. My flexors are still bothering me, I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to stop squatting completely for 2-3 weeks so the asis/tendonitis or whatever it is can heal, or if it's okay to keep squatting if I can fix my form. I really hate the idea of cutting squats out of my workout... they're the heart of the program after all. Thanks.