starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with the squat and the deadlift

Default Problem with the squat and the deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have a problem with both the squat and the deadlift. My problem in the squat is that I can't activate my core, so my whole upper body and the lower back collapses when I lift. I was stupid enough to increase the weights too fast. Now I'm lifting 100 kg deadlift and 70 kg squats. The squats are not heavy, but my upper body and lower back can't support enough. I don't have a video of the deadlifts, but I got the same problem with the lower back. I have read the book, and watched the DVD, so I know what stance etc. I should use.

Sorry for my bad English.

Heres a video:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=video,.mp4

You diagnosed the problem correctly.
    As soon as you drop down, your core collapses. Your hips rise up first and you are forced to Good-Morning the weight up.

Also, the first Rep was questionable depth, all subsequent reps were too high (half-squats) with a strong good morning.

You are rocking back too, I'm not sure if thats a symptom of the transition from a squat to the good morning or if it is from not having the bar in the correct place on your back, maybe someone else will chime in.

Advice-
    Its hard to see from this angle, are you pushing hips out?
    Deload the weight by 10% or so and work back up paying attention to keeping a tight core.
    Take a deep breath before each rep and hold it, then flexing your abs hard and begin your descent.
    Squeeze your shoulder blades together as well, this will help keep your upper back tight.

Thank you so much for your advices!

Will go down to 40 kg on the squat and 80 kg on the deadlift. I don't care about the weight right now, just want to get the right technique. I will try to film in another angle, and without the safetybar. I'm a cross country skier, also there my problem is that I can't activate the core correctly.

My back hurts a bit now, so I must do something about this.

Jsutt Guest

Ah, I don't know if 'activating the core' is the only problem here. The first rep isn't too awful, but the rest of the set is, sorry to say it, horrible. It looks like you're reaching for depth with your shoulders - not good-morning the weight up but good-morning the weight down. Very strange indeed. It'd be a good idea to watch this video on back control during the squat. It might also help to practice going into a full-depth squat with an empty bar or even a broom-stick and getting a video so that you know what it feels like to go below parallel with your hips (not your shoulders!). I think that a deload alone is not enough to fix these issues - you really need to go back and learn the movement all over again, because this is going to fuck up your back really quickly.

Sorry if that's a bit strong, but I wish someone had told me the same thing when I started - would have saved a few pulled muscles!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsutt View Post
    Ah, I don't know if 'activating the core' is the only problem here. The first rep isn't too awful, but the rest of the set is, sorry to say it, horrible. It looks like you're reaching for depth with your shoulders - not good-morning the weight up but good-morning the weight down. Very strange indeed. It'd be a good idea to watch this video on back control during the squat. It might also help to practice going into a full-depth squat with an empty bar or even a broom-stick and getting a video so that you know what it feels like to go below parallel with your hips (not your shoulders!). I think that a deload alone is not enough to fix these issues - you really need to go back and learn the movement all over again, because this is going to fuck up your back really quickly.

Sorry if that's a bit strong, but I wish someone had told me the same thing when I started - would have saved a few pulled muscles!
    I'm an athlete so I'm used to hearing the truth. My squats are really shitty, and I know it. This is why I'm starting fresh. Will post a video on Wednesday with just the bar, and I'm gonna try with 40 kg. It's not my flexibility that's the problem. My problem is that when I go down my upper body falls down.

With belt: http://1drv.ms/PcxKJb

Deadlift: http://1drv.ms/PcxNVj

Edit: Sorry for the bad camera angles, will fix it next time. Didn't read the guidelines before now.
    Last edited by janpfo; 03-31-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Hi janpfo,

On the squat, let's see a 45* angle and a rear angle. Be sure to include your stance in the field of view. I'm betting that in addition to some of the problems listed above, your knees are probably caving in significantly, which is limiting your depth. We'll see on your next post.

Your deadlift video displays an inability to get your lower back in the correct position.

I had problem with the knee before when I was skiing, the right knee would "fall" in against the center if you can understand me. This was because of an injury, but the problem hasn't occurred since two years ago.

45 degree angle, what do you mean by this? Do you have an example? A bit new to this. And thank you for the fast answers!

Edit: Is it okay to use OneDrive? Don't like publishing to YT, and it's a lot easier because my phone uploads the videos automatically.

Do you think Vibram FiveFingers is good shoes to use? I know a lot of people doing CrossFit uses them. Just love them. They are fantastic to use when running, and I think they are good to use when training strength, because I can feel the ground better.
    Last edited by janpfo; 03-31-2014 at 10:37 AM.

I'm glad to hear that the knee problem hasn't re-occurred. I understand what you're saying completely. Around here, we call that 'knee cave' or 'knees buckling in' if it happens when you squat and it's definitely something you want to prevent during the squat.

For your next video, a 45* angle would help us see more. Think of it as the midpoint between a view from the side and a view from the rear. Here's a good example from a recent thread (and darn good squats too!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeTtLDSXRzw

OneDrive worked for me - no problems there.

I've never worn vibrams, so I can't criticize them fairly. They lack a firm sole and a nice heel, which is why lots of lifters gravitate toward weightlifting shoes. I understand your preference for them because of the ground connection. Just understand that as the weight gets heavy, you may appreciate something a bit more solid with some more support.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    I'm glad to hear that the knee problem hasn't re-occurred. I understand what you're saying completely. Around here, we call that 'knee cave' or 'knees buckling in' if it happens when you squat and it's definitely something you want to prevent during the squat.

For your next video, a 45* angle would help us see more. Think of it as the midpoint between a view from the side and a view from the rear. Here's a good example from a recent thread (and darn good squats too!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeTtLDSXRzw

OneDrive worked for me - no problems there.

I've never worn vibrams, so I can't criticize them fairly. They lack a firm sole and a nice heel, which is why lots of lifters gravitate toward weightlifting shoes. I understand your preference for them because of the ground connection. Just understand that as the weight gets heavy, you may appreciate something a bit more solid with some more support.
    I do a lot of endurance training to, some times 4-5 hours low intensity. Therefore I want to strengthen my ankles so I can manage to train so long without getting injuries. My main goal with SS is to strengthen my whole body so I can be in the army without getting injuries.

Thank you for the video! : )

starting strength coach development program
    I've read that falling forward in the squat to Good-Morning the weight up could also be a symptom of (relatively) weak Quads and/or hamstrings, since the body falls to its strongest position when failing, which in the good morning (with knees flexed) almost all of the load is on the Lower Back.

just something to think about.

Can you Leg Press your bodyweight for 3 sets of 10?
    I think Rip's rule of thumb for people who had trouble maintaining the squat position, to get them stronger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast