starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hipe Drive Confusion

Default Hipe Drive Confusion

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here's a video of Candito talking about hip drive difference between his theory and Mark's... he raises some good points, does anyone have any comment on this video?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GynDZgEB1U0

Candito is not addressing the biomechanics of Rip's squat model; he's addressing the biomechanics of a learning progression drill. This is brainless. Don't get sucked in by fairly bright dudes making bait & switch arguments like this. Candito knows he's doing this bullshit, and it's cheap & easy marketing.

The point of Rip's hip drive drill is to get the body accustomed to recruiting the proper muscles, namely the posterior chain muscles. At this point in the learning progression, knee vs hip extension hasn't even been addressed. Hell...there isn't even a barbell in play at this stage of learning. What's important at this stage is that clients feel the ass and hamstrings at work.

At a later stage, emphasis will be placed on maintaining a solid torso angle out the bottom of a squat (ie...not letting the torso collapse to horizontal), thus assuring proper knee & hip extension with an emphasis on maintaining hamstring tension.

Rip is a world class coach. I've worked with many world class coaches, and at the SS Seminar I was simply awed by Rip's ability to get regular, spazzy people to perform flawless, complex biomechanical feats. You don't get people to move in accord with a biomechanical model by getting them to cognate on biomechanics...you use appropriate drills & cues to get the body to move properly. This is art and complex communication at its best.

Of course the biomechanics of the hip drive drill are fucked up! it's a drill. And it's also a near-magical way to get inexperienced people to feel hip drive. It's the sort of drill employed by someone who's coached for decades and got hundreds of thousands (probobly miliions) of folks very strong.

Rip certanly doesn't need me defending him, but I'm just so sick of how much bullshit exists in the fitness industry.

Thanks for the reply, very good points you bring up.

My girlfriend has been squatting for quite a while but there is far too much forward lean (basically horizontal) on her way up. He talks about bringing the hips forward and up when coming out, instead of just up. This seemed to make a lot of sense to me, and would seem to help the forward tilt situation.

Originally i thought this was the result of a weak lower back, however she keeps perfect lumbar tension all the way through the movement. Maybe weak hamstrings? How do you guys correct the excessive forward tilt?

I only got as far as seeing the pencil neck i never heard of trying to talk about squatting...never mind who cares?

Could be a lot of things...often the bar is too high. You'll have to post a video, or else I'd be tossing out bullshit guesses.

Bringing the hips forward will instantly kill hamstring tension. It's super easy to get strong quads; pretty damned hard to get strong hamstrings. You want strong hamstrings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    I only got as far as seeing the pencil neck i never heard of trying to talk about squatting...never mind who cares?
    Give Candito credit where credit is due: he squats as much as that 14 year old from Texas does (a 14 year old with great hip drive by the way).

True, you are right I was to hard on him, I hope he never meets that 14 year old in an alley.

"Rippetoe promotes hip drive as driving back the hips" I pretty much zoned out after that statement. That's not what rip teaches..the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeknom58 View Post
    "Rippetoe promotes hip drive as driving back the hips" I pretty much zoned out after that statement. That's not what rip teaches..the end.
    Yep, that is where he went wrong. The video does show some pretty bad squats, but as John said, it is a drill not the end product. Unfortunately, I see some people squatting like that though (ass back, hips rising faster than chest). It is something we all need to keep working on.

As for Candido, how many 170lb guys here are squatting 500+ raw? How big is that 14 year old in Texas?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Yep, that is where he went wrong. The video does show some pretty bad squats, but as John said, it is a drill not the end product. Unfortunately, I see some people squatting like that though (ass back, hips rising faster than chest). It is something we all need to keep working on.

As for Candido, how many 170lb guys here are squatting 500+ raw? How big is that 14 year old in Texas?
    Quit fact-checking my cheap shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast