starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some direction for an advanced trainee

Default Some direction for an advanced trainee

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Mark,

Firstly I'd like to complement you on your books. I have PP and the latest one and they are a great read.
    Basically I'm not sure what to try next.
    I've been training around 16 years. My best lifts are 130kg bench, 87.5 kg overhead press, 150kg Back Squat and 180kg deadlift for six reps(pre injury - now 170kg for 1 rep) at a bodyweight of 84-86kg
    I have tried many routines over the years and I think I am probably guilty of working too hard.
    I was gaining quite well on westside inspired routines over the last three/four months or so but I think the ME workouts are taking their toll on me and they wipe me out.
    I have generally found that I am stronger training two days per week, but even then I stall and dont know where to go next!

Am I an advanced trainee? my numbers are not huge but I have trained for many years ( never juiced)
    I was considering trying the texas method for six weeks or so.
    Do you have any advice for me, I am determined to get a double bodyweight squat(rock bottom) and a 200kg deadlift, 100kg OPress and a 150kg bench, I just dont know how to achieve it. Can you help?
    I thank you in advance for your time.
    Tim

Training advancement is not determined by strength, but rather your level of adaptation. You are an advanced trainee, no doubt. And it may be that a short regression to an intermediate program like the Texas method would work for a while, as long as you understand that an advanced trainee doing an intermediate program will exhaust the potential of the program much faster than a true intermediate would. Start light, and ride it up as long as you can, but be ready for it to stall in 6-8 weeks. Then pick another intermediate program to try. Do this a few times and see what happens.

Default So what other routines would

you reccommend that I try after the texas method then? What do you think about infrequent training , such as ever 10 days or so?
    I'm so confused when I see that advanced trainees should train with more frequencey?

If you mean working out once every 10 days, that is not training. That is the behavior of most commercial gym members.

Default Thanks and

I was intending on setting the routine like this

MON 5*5
    BS
    BP
    BOR / Barbell Row
    GHR 2sets to failure

WED
    FSquat 3*3 easyish
    MP 3*3 easyish
    BOR 3*3

FRI 1 max set of 3 - 5
    BS
    BP
    DL
    Weighted Chin

I was thinking of rotating DL for BS , MP for BP and BOR for Weighted Chin
    after a three week run and one week deload. For the Deload thought I'd cut volume in half and Intensity by 10% Proper deloads are something I have been neglecting recently I think.
    I also do 4 rounds of 3mins Bag followed by 3 mins Bike after every session though I might skip it on Volume day as I was smoked tues.

I was also thinking of trying this, I can dumbbell press a 35kg dumbbell strictly for around 5 reps, I was thinking of placing a 30kg dumbbell in my yard and doing a rep a day for a week on each arm then week 2 trying for 2 reps etc and seeing how long I can do that for Mon-Fri. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Looks okay, but the deadlift cannot be subbed for the squat because they are not equivalent efforts. You need to squat twice/week and deadlift too.

Default progress

Well, firstly. I'm liking the texas method so far and have been building up the weights over 3 weeks and feeling quite strong. I have a few questions if you dont mind.
    Q1 Should I deload on the fourth week or keep going if I'm feeling good?

Q2 After deload would you change the movements or keep with the same excersies?

Q3 Around two weeks ago I was using an akward bench for Bench Press and I had to overextend the arms / shoulder joint to get the bar back in the rack on a rep. I kind of tweaked the shoulder but it has been ok. Anyhow today I did 37.5 kg * 1 rep for a pull up with palms facing me. When I gripped the bar to do a chin (palms away / no weight) It was very uncomoftable , and I basically would not even attempt a rep, the pain was right in the shoulder joint and a the end of the middle head of the shoulder.
    Should I just train around it and do all the moves which I can with no pain or is there something else you would reccommend?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read all this let alone answer my questions should you do so.

Regards,

Tim

1. Don't unload unless you need to. If you're making linear progress but you feel like you're about to stall, but don't know for sure, you might want to go to smaller jumps. But don't just stop without a good reason.

2. I'd keep doing what's working.

3. I'd train around it if possible, because you might be able to continue making progress while it heals with good warmup and anti-inflammatories. This is, of course, your call, based on your experience and tolerance for injury pain.

Default thanks again Mark and

So you dont think I should deload even though I'm an advanced trainee?, just keep it going until I stop making progress and then change it?

thanks again,

Tim

starting strength coach development program
    Linear programming should always be your default procedure, and trainees of all levels of advancement can and should use it when it fits their needs. An advanced man coming back from a layoff should use it until it stops working, or when changing from infrequent, sub-intense training to a run-up to a contest cycle that will need to be more complex. If linear progression is working and you stop doing it for reasons other than that it stopped working, you are wasting training time and potential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast