starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift programming vs armspan

Default Deadlift programming vs armspan

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I’m 6’1” with an armspan of 5’8”. My shoulders are just barely above my hips in the start position, back in rigid extension. While I do use a belt for the squat and press, it definitely seems to get in the way in the deadlift, scooting up over my rib cage with each rep, so I rarely use it for any floor pulls; my thighs seem to create the “hoop tension” in the beginning of the pull just fine. Does the increased ROM (and lighter weight?) warrant any modifications to deadlift programming? I’d imagine the mechanics are somewhat similar to the snatch-grip pull, but given that it is just an assistance exercise, it isn’t necessarily “trained” in the same sense that the conventional deadlift is. Does the lighter weight warrant more sets? Or does the increased ROM warrant more rest?

Video?

iCloud

Let the roast begin

These look okay, but watch the bar kick forward as you start the pull on some of these reps. You're doing that with your hips dropping and knees bumping the bar forward.

I noticed that as well; painful to watch.

But you don’t think there’s anything going on that warrants programming modification?

Always change programming AFTER form has been corrected. ALWAYS.

starting strength coach development program
    You're not a circus freak. If you have anthropometry unsuited to the deadlift, you may (not necessarily will) find that your deadlift gets harder to progress at lighter weights than it would for most people, but it's not going to render the lift untrainable. Maybe you experience the mid 300s the way most people experience the low 400s, if that.