starting strength gym

Thread: Upper back - Shrug or not shrug?

Default Upper back - Shrug or not shrug?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello guys so most of my doubts have been answered just reading threads on forum and searching about, but there is one thing bothering me:

Elbow and Wrist Position During Squat

Above we see Rip coaching the guy to shrug all the upper back.

And here, Simma Park tells you're not suppose to shrug (which I think it works better):

Not being able to go low on the squat (lower back round aka buttwink)

What are your guys opinion? Also not the main question but what are your thoughts on trying to spread the floor with the feet or screwing the feet to the floor?

Cheers

You linked a thread from 2008. You think these guys haven't learned anything in 8 years? If the most recent version of the book doesn't say it, it's probably not important.

Additionally, you should evaluate it on your own and ask questions from there. You said Simma Park teaches it without the shrug and you think it works better. Why might that be so? By what mechanism would a shrug in the squat be beneficial or detrimental?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    You linked a thread from 2008. You think these guys haven't learned anything in 8 years? If the most recent version of the book doesn't say it, it's probably not important.

Additionally, you should evaluate it on your own and ask questions from there. You said Simma Park teaches it without the shrug and you think it works better. Why might that be so? By what mechanism would a shrug in the squat be beneficial or detrimental?
    I feel like it's kinda what Simma says, when I shrug "up" my body kinda feels "off", but when I lock it, it kinda feels like my body moves easier as a whole. What's the consensus about screweing the floor anyways? (english is not my primary language btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrao157 View Post
    I feel like it's kinda what Simma says, when I shrug "up" my body kinda feels "off", but when I lock it, it kinda feels like my body moves easier as a whole. What's the consensus about screweing the floor anyways? (english is not my primary language btw)
    If you're referring to screwing your feet into the floor, that's some wing chun/Kelly Starrett bullshit that is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    If you're referring to screwing your feet into the floor, that's some wing chun/Kelly Starrett bullshit that is unnecessary.
    On occasion, the "screwing your feet into the floor" provides a useful cue to a lifter that is having a difficult time forcing their knees out. That said, I use it very sparingly, because the idea of actively rotating my foot during a heavy squat makes me nauseous thinking about it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    because the idea of actively rotating my foot during a heavy squat makes me nauseous thinking about it.
    +1