Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Deadlift 285 x 5 using hook grip.
    Deadlift 130 kg x 5 form check - YouTube

Background info:
    34 yo, 220 lbs.
    I've been doing starting strength LP on / off through 2015. I finally got my home gym set up 2 months ago and am now getting regular training.

Current lifts:
    SQ 3x5 @ 255
    PR 3x5 @ 120
    BP 3x5 @ 165
    PC 5x3 @ 140
    Deadlift was at 310 x 5 recently but after hurting (hyper-extending) my back on the bench press, I did a reset, working up from 120 kg. Trying to be more careful these days, and focus on the lumbar setup.
    I am planning on repeating the 140 kg x 5 four days from now.

Quote Originally Posted by hoei View Post
    Deadlift 285 x 5 using hook grip.
    Deadlift 130 kg x 5 form check - YouTube

Background info:
    34 yo, 220 lbs.
    I've been doing starting strength LP on / off through 2015. I finally got my home gym set up 2 months ago and am now getting regular training.

Current lifts:
    SQ 3x5 @ 255
    PR 3x5 @ 120
    BP 3x5 @ 165
    PC 5x3 @ 140
    Deadlift was at 310 x 5 recently but after hurting (hyper-extending) my back on the bench press, I did a reset, working up from 120 kg. Trying to be more careful these days, and focus on the lumbar setup.
    I am planning on repeating the 140 kg x 5 four days from now.
    Your hips are low at the start, and you're not squeezing up correctly, as you can see by the hitch that happens when you start the pull. That's the slack coming out of everything: your arms, your back, etc. And you can also see it causes your back to round a bit. Read the sticky at the top of the thread. All of it. Then watch Niki's "Squeezing the bar off the floor" video. Then try again.

Thank you, Steve! I will get right to it.

Ok, so instead of my planned PC day, I decided to do a DL light/technique day with 220 lbs:
    Deadlift form check 100 kg x 5 - YouTube

I've been imprinting the DL setup steps (even speaking the numbers out loud on the video)! I've watched Niki's video it was really helpful - apparently I've been jerking off too much all this time without realizing it. Most of the reps I think I did a good job of taking out the slack. I realize there is a lot of clicking sounds when the bar leaves the floor, but it is mostly due to my cheap rubber tiles and plates being different diameters.

On some of these reps you're squeezing up, but you're not letting it pull up on the bar, which tells me you can do it better. SQUEEZE UP IS SUPPOSED TO PUT TENSION IN THE ARMS AND ON THE BAR so that it comes off the floor quietly. If you're pulling 220# (BTW make up your mind - metric, or the system of units that went to the moon), there should be about 219.9# of tension in your arms.

When you make excuses, you're really just telling me "Yeah, I could have done it better." Because you can always do it better and squeeze up harder.

More squeesing it is! Was the hip better this time?

yes, as can be seen by the bar and the hips starting movement at the same time.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks again, I think I got enough to work with for some time.