starting strength gym

Thread: Megan DL check

Default Megan DL check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy_r9A4zoiA

The main question we have is: where she sets up first is where she feels its correct, I think the third position ( the one I move her into on the first rep) is correct. I see she is not keeping her arms straight and I think we have that fixed.
    What am I missing?
    Thank you guys for doing all this,
    Chris

She tends to set up a little too far from the bar. An inch from the bar means there is very little air between the shin and the barbell. It puts the bar right over the middle of the foot. I cannot tell from the video if she is keeping the bar on her legs on the way up, or if it is out in front of her. Megan keeps her back in good extension, but needs to bring her hips further forward and stand all the way up at the top.

Thank you. I noticed she wasn't standing up all the way and she fixed it some but mostly by over extending her back instead of opening her hips, we are working on it. She has been keeping the bar on her legs (she has the marks to prove it and she hates me for it haha).
    If she moves closer to the bar will that help the the scapula being over the bar? It looks like to me where she sets herself initially is putting her shoulder too far forward and then I cue her into what I think is a better position. Am I wrong?

She also needs to set the bar down properly to set up the next rep. This means the bar should land back over the midfoot. She's lowering it with far too much initial knee flexion, which makes the bar move out, away from the midfoot and out over the toes. This is why she has to let go of the bar, stand up, snd set up under the bar on almost every rep. The bar returns to the floor in the reverse order of the lift: first hip flexion (with a LITTLE bit of knee flexion - enough to unlock the knees), THEN (after the bar gets below the knees) knee flexion.

Thank you Steve, I agree with you and she is leaps and bounds better about that than when she started pulling. Its something I've been trying to help her with from the beginning.