starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lying Triceps Extension - No EZ Bar

Default Lying Triceps Extension - No EZ Bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'll have no access to an EZ bar for a while. I do have a straight Olympic barbell, of course, and those screw-type dumbbells with the standard plates.

Doing lying triceps extensions with the straight Olympic bar hurts my elbows, (not crippling pain though).

Doing them with dumbbells feels really "loose" and wobbly.

I know everyone's anthropomorphy is different, but any opinions here on what is a better option? Or should I just swap them for seated dips?

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPancakes View Post
    I'll have no access to an EZ bar for a while. I do have a straight Olympic barbell, of course, and those screw-type dumbbells with the standard plates.

Doing lying triceps extensions with the straight Olympic bar hurts my elbows, (not crippling pain though).

Doing them with dumbbells feels really "loose" and wobbly.

I know everyone's anthropomorphy is different, but any opinions here on what is a better option? Or should I just swap them for seated dips?
    Do seated dips is you want impingement.

Straight armed pullovers have Bill Starr's erect penis of approval. Do them instead.

Depends on where you are in terms of progression. If you're a novice, just stick to the standard template. If an intermediate and you feel extra triceps work is needed to improve lockout, then try the close grip bench press.

Finished novice progression about a year ago, didn't go to any of the "approved" intermediate programs, just stayed on a maintenance version of SS plus some fucking around.

I was asking about triceps extensions purely because I want to grow my gunz for the summer brah.

I like them with DBs, and rolling triceps (YouTube it).

Thanks for suggestion of straight arm pullovers. I will give them a try tomorrow.

Are you working out at a normal gym, or do you have limited equipment at home?

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    any form of LTE kills my elbows. I'm relegated to various cable pushdowns, which seem to work fine when I need a 3rd tricep exercise to stimulate progress.
    Yep, that is what I was going to suggest (if he had the equipment). I do them overhead and get a real stretch when it goes back behind my head. This actually works the third head of the tricep (like LTE's).

I am using equipment at home:

Power rack
    Barbell
    Plates
    Dumbells and plates
    Bench

I'm going to try dumbbell pullovers and see what happens. My rack used to have an attachment for a cable and pulley which could be loaded with plates, (which allowed for microloading and everything), but in my various moves around the world it got mangled at some point and I threw it out. Wish I had made the minimal effort needed to repair it now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast