• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Novice Practical Programming
    Weight: 200
    Deadlift: 215
    Squat: 140
    Press: 90
    Bench Press: 130

I have been on the Starting Strength novice practical program for about two months now. I read in the book Practical Programming that reps should be completed quickly and I have been doing that but recently, I have not been able to complete the reps at the same quick speed (1-second between reps). Most of the time, I can do Reps 1-3 quickly but then I have to wait 5-10 seconds before completing 4 and then another 5-10 seconds before completing 5. Should these last reps count or should they be considered a failed set because of the time I had to wait before continuing?

I would count them, unless you replace the barbell in the rack or put it down.

If squats are what you are talking about - I learned how to bang out reps by doing 20 rep "breathing squats". They aren't necessarily appropriate for you just yet, but the mental & timing aspect help significantly. Between reps, take two full breaths and then inhale again, set yourself, and descend. After you do this a couple hundred times, it almost becomes automatic. You descend on the third breath, everytime. I use this anytime I do reps in the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
    Novice Practical Programming
    Weight: 200
    Deadlift: 215
    Squat: 140
    Press: 90
    Bench Press: 130

I have been on the Starting Strength novice practical program for about two months now. I read in the book Practical Programming that reps should be completed quickly and I have been doing that but recently, I have not been able to complete the reps at the same quick speed (1-second between reps). Most of the time, I can do Reps 1-3 quickly but then I have to wait 5-10 seconds before completing 4 and then another 5-10 seconds before completing 5. Should these last reps count or should they be considered a failed set because of the time I had to wait before continuing?
    Cluster Sets

Resting between reps is a form of Cluster Set Training. Cluster Sets even allow you to re-rack the weight and rest up to 30 seconds.

This "Rest-Pause" method allows you to extend the number of reps you perform in a set.

ATP

Adinosine Triphosphate, ATP, is the "gas" for strength training.

ATP stores are quickly depleted. Up to 50% of ATP is restored to the muscles in approximatley 30 seconds.

Even short 5-15 second pauses between reps restore ATP, which enables you to perform more repetitions.

Thus, rest between reps is an effective training tool.

Kenny Croxdale

As long as you're not racking the bar it counts. As the weight gets heavier you need those seconds between reps.

[QUOTE=Chebass88;652417] If squats are what you are talking about - I learned how to bang out reps by doing 20 rep "breathing squats". QUOTE]

If an individual pushes themself in a 20RM, they are not going to "bang out reps".

If you are using maximim 20RM loads, by the time you get to the 10th rep, you are going to be taking 5-10 seconds between reps and digging them out.

Kenny Croxdale

[QUOTE=Kenny Crox;652428]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    If squats are what you are talking about - I learned how to bang out reps by doing 20 rep "breathing squats". QUOTE]

If an individual pushes themself in a 20RM, they are not going to "bang out reps".

If you are using maximim 20RM loads, by the time you get to the 10th rep, you are going to be taking 5-10 seconds between reps and digging them out.

Kenny Croxdale
    Absolutely agreed. I'll freely admit I never used maximum loads in 20 rep squats. I only mentioned them because while using them, I was able to develop some discipline to squat on the third breath every time, which help when I do heavy sets of 5 now. That is all.

starting strength coach development program
    I would doubt that it's actually 10 seconds before rep 4 and 5 (if you're squatting), but that's fine as long as you don't rack the bar. I would submit that you're probably able to try again sooner than you think and that, when the weights do get heavy, standing around for too long will tire you out too much to do the rep successfully, eventually.