starting strength gym

Thread: Weight-lifting and moving

Default Weight-lifting and moving

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Rip,

Quick question. I feel like this is dumb, but something I am curious about. Either this Saturday or next Saturday, I will be helping my brothers move. I lifted today (an A day, so deadlifts), and so Friday will be a B day (so cleans). i don't know how big the job is going to be on Saturday (or next Saturday), but assuming it next Saturday, would it be smart not to deadlift the day before (since next week will be an ABA week, so I will be deadlifting/helping to move back to back days, which could inhibit my recovery/gains). Or, will it not be a big deal?

Thanks.

If you can't work a little while you're training, you risk being labeled a "pussy" by your friends and family. Figure it out.

Damn, you should just be happy you can train 3x a week. Suck it up and lift, or skip the workout and switch up your ABA/BAB pattern, whatever. The world, I can assure you, will not end, and furthermore, you will continue to get strong. Embrace the chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you can't work a little while you're training, you risk being labeled a "pussy" by your friends and family. Figure it out.
    That was pretty much what I expected. While lifting is very important to me, I have the same mindset that I don't want it to control me to the extent that I can't help my brothers move. I just figured that by maybe leaving out deads the day before (but still completing the rest of the workout), Saturday would essentially include those deads (as you said, deads are essentially "picking heavy shit up off the ground"--or something to that degree).

I enjoy helping my friends move. I just view it as a light endurance strongman kind of event, and try to get shit packed as fast as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Or you could do both, drink your milk and get a good night's sleep.