starting strength gym

Thread: I'm overweight, what should I do?

Default I'm overweight, what should I do?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, I'm a 22 years old male, 6'4", weighing 254 lbs, BMI around 31,5.
    In the book Rip says that if you're overweight, you should ideally stay around where you're now in terms of body mass and do Starting Strength, which will result in more muscle mass and less fat. If that's important I used to do Stronglifts about 5 years ago and lost 44 pounds, but now I'm heavier than when I started then. Should I aim at my current bodyweight at the beginning, or should I cut a bit?

What are your lifts?

I just came back home from the third workout since 2019 so I'm an absolute beginner, but 50 kg in squat, 35 in BP and 65 in deadlift (110, 77 and 143 in lbs)

Thanks, I was looking for an article like that which really adresses guys like me.
    I was already eating around 3000 kcal daily with around 160 grams of protein, I'll try to keep it around these numbers, maybe little bit higher and see how I progress and how my body fat changes. And it was already not that high, as I have a bit of muscle from previously training and I'm a tall guy.

I mean the obvious first thing is that your protein intake is way too low.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub Nowak View Post
    I just came back home from the third workout since 2019 so I'm an absolute beginner, but 50 kg in squat, 35 in BP and 65 in deadlift (110, 77 and 143 in lbs)
    Make bigger jumps in the deadlift. You want it 40-50 kilos ahead of the squat by the time you are squatting 100 kg. Also, I doubt you are overweight at this height and weight. It is largely in your head. You won’t even have much of an appetite until you are squatting body weight.