starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i correct that tempo is BS?

Default Am i correct that tempo is BS?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Rip,

I had a personal trainer/volture come over to me today at the gym trying to explain that my program is shit because I'm not tracking tempo and need to hire him asap lol.

I argued that logically tempo seems like an insignificant variable in comparison to the linear weight increases I've been putting on thanks to you.

He didn't agree. Is my logic flawed or he's just trying to rob me?

Thanks,

Tempo? Are we dancing?

Well i assume dancing is what he does, he looks weaker than me with my 3 weeks of StartingStrength

Do not argue logic with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Do not argue logic with people.
    I endorse this message.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Remember that an assertion is not an argument. Anyone can make an unsubstantiated claim. Your position is: adding weight to the bar is more important than the time it takes to complete a rep because we are training for strength, which means adding weight to the bar is the goal.

Tempo is peripherally related to a couple things that are relevant to adding weight to the bar: 1) If your reps are too slow, cautious, and deliberate, you're doing extra work and are likely losing the benefit of a stretch reflex (on the squat and bench) which means you will hit a plateau prematurely. 2) If your reps are so fast that you're relaxing to accommodate that level of speed, your form will deteriorate and the mechanics will become less efficient. Plus, if you're "letting go" during the eccentric portion of the reps, you're robbing yourself of valuable stress - both of which will lead to a premature plateau.

To make sure you're doing things correctly, stay tight on all of your reps. Get your presses done in a hurry so you don't fatigue the smaller muscle groups associated with that exercise. Squat to depth quickly enough to get a stretch reflex out of the bottom and drive your hips up with all of your effort. Same concept applies to the bench. For the deadlift, push through the floor with your feet as hard as you can. Once the bar passes your knees on the way down, drop it to the floor rapidly, with control.

That's all you need to be aware of tempo-wise during your NLP. Don't waste time discussing strength training with trainers that don't train for strength.
    Last edited by Ray Gillenwater; 03-24-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    That's all you need to be aware of tempo-wise during your NLP. Don't waste time discussing strength training with trainers that don't train for strength.
    This. Simplified: lower the weight smoothly but not slowly while keeping it under control - then seek to move the weight very quickly and explosively while staying tight (it may not actually move quickly because its really heavy, but that is the goal). That's all the tempo you need.

Remember that an assertion is not an argument. Anyone can make an unsubstantiated claim. Your position is: adding weight to the bar is more important than the time it takes to complete a rep because we are training for strength, which means adding weight to the bar is the goal.

Tempo is peripherally related to a couple things that are relevant to adding weight to the bar: 1) If your reps are too slow, cautious, and deliberate, you're doing extra work and are likely losing the benefit of a stretch reflex (on the squat and bench) which means you will hit a plateau prematurely. 2) If your reps are so fast that you're relaxing to accommodate that level of speed, your form will deteriorate and the mechanics will become less efficient. Plus, if you're "letting go" during the eccentric portion of the reps, you're robbing yourself of valuable stress - both of which will lead to a premature plateau.

To make sure you're doing things correctly, stay tight on all of your reps. Get your presses done in a hurry so you don't fatigue the smaller muscle groups associated with that exercise. Squat to depth quickly enough to get a stretch reflex out of the bottom and drive your hips up with all of your effort. Same concept applies to the bench. For the deadlift, push through the floor with your feet as hard as you can. Once the bar passes your knees on the way down, drop it to the floor rapidly, with control.

Thanks for the advice on form and such, I appreciate the time you took to write it up.

In terms of my position, it's that I have no real position in the realm of strength training. Reason being, because I'm lacking knowledge in that area and hence why I asked Rip for his opinion. With that being said, I will still always question the logic of new ideas especially about topics I know very little about (thats where they get you with the BS).

But how will i know if my logic is correct if it could never be challenged?

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    This. Simplified: lower the weight smoothly but not slowly while keeping it under control - then seek to move the weight very quickly and explosively while staying tight (it may not actually move quickly because its really heavy, but that is the goal). That's all the tempo you need.
    Thanks for the tips, I can definitely use some advice on my form, will be posting some videos soon in the form check channel.

Excellent advice and a great re cap of some important points on the lifts. Im printing this out

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeUser View Post
    But how will i know if my logic is correct if it could never be challenged
    Squat 405 and bench 255 for three sets of five

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast