starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats best for improving speed?

Default Whats best for improving speed?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    In a discussion on another site, someone asked what they could do to improve their speed for soccer and I suggested that they do squats, powercleans etc.. as that defnitely improved my running, though i dont play any competive sports. Then someone came along saying squats are a waste of time because youll never find yourself performing a squat motion during soccer unless your headbutting the ball or something, which doesnt really make sense but he did go on to say:

"You dont want hugeee quads if your a soccer player, you need lean mass, and the way to do that is by doing resistance training and light weight high volume repeation weight training. Of course every sport team trains with weights, im not saying that, but weight training is not what most sport teams use when it comes to increasing speed. Go talk to the USA olympic track and field team and see what they say, garuntee they tell you the key to being faster is running in a pool, running more often and longer, and doing the right resistance training, with the right type of weight training, not just squating and powercleans. I have never in my life seen a soccer player do powercleans."

And now im wondering which would be more effective for improving speed, strength training or running in a pool, more running etc, or a bit of both? What would you recommend for someone looking to increase their speed?

Many thanks.

I recommend that, in addition to getting your sprint mechanics fixed (which might not help much for soccer) making your low back stronger -- especially if is untrained -- will make an immediate contribution to your speed. This is because lower back strength enables the spine to stay locked in lumbar extension, and this locked lordotic curve allows for a more efficient stride. If each stride is power-dampened by a loose low-back, some of the force of the hip extension as the leg pulls through gets absorbed by the collapse of the arch. The effect of strengthening the lower back shows up fairly quickly, so you'll know if it's working soon.

soccer players and runners are generally clueless and retarded about weight training, don't trust them. I was once a soccer player btw.

So was I. At the time I was clueless.

And deadlifts, Squats Powerclean, Press all make your lower back stronger, right!? In addition to Mark answer, if it is of any help:

"I believe that the maximum distance a multi sprint sport athlete needs to run in one direction during conditioning training should be limited to 20metres. Think about it for a while and try it as I have tried to follow my 20metre rule for the majority of the training year. In the analysis of soccer we can see that it is rare a player runs more than 20m etres in one direction so I ask why should we do anything differently in training. we want to move away from players cruising during the game and move towards attacking the space at pace.

Dr Craig Duncan is currently the director of The Academy of Athletic Development and Head of the Sport and Fitness department at the South Western Sydney Institute of TAFE

An amazingly useful observation from a soccer guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    An amazingly useful observation from a soccer guy.
    Actually, the Australians as well as a few European groups have been doing some good work with regard to conditioning team sports athletes. There is actually a Team Sports Research Group at The University of Western Australia that has published some interesting stuff. Basically they recommend short (<15s) submaximal intervals and repeated maximal sprints as a means of conditioing athletes participating in team sports.

Flat out strength next to genetics is the #1 factor in any sport that can and should be addressed and sadly, in the US anyway it is seemingly the first to be dismissed.

Point of fact: take the Olympics and a female athlete in any sport, even pure endurance sports. I don't care which one. The female times, their records, etc., are considerably lower then that of men. Why?? It ain't the technique -- it's the fact that men are stronger.

Strength FLAT out plays a role in athletics: you make a soccer player stronger they will be more explosive and faster.

The olde guard is going to say, "But if they squat and lift heavy weights they'll get all HUGE and muscle bound and slow." To any one who says that I say call me when you all of a sudden wake up to HUGE and give me the recipe for that. It's flat out Bullshit, and ignorance, and the fact that people are lazy.

I agree with the post above on training for your sport. Why would a soccer player spend the majority of there time running distance when 100% of the game is spent either at a light trot or an all out sprint?

Your training should be hard so your a meet/competition is then easy.

So as a powerlifter, I have to lift a maximum of nine singles in one day. In training, I want to be able to hit those lifts, each single a few times. That makes the meet day seem like a day off. The training is specific. Sure, I also use higher rep schemes parts of the year, but he majority of my training is based on getting a higher one-rep max and even when venturing out of the low-rep/high-load I do so with a purpose. Everything is done with a purpose. What the hell good is it going to be for me to spend most of my training with submaximal loads for high reps? Its not. What good is it going to do a soccer player to run in water?? They're not water polo players. Yes, get out of the training box, but be realistic and don't waste your time on shit that has little or no translation to your sport.

Say, the average play they are sprinting all out 5-7 seconds. Concentrate on a LOT of sprinting with minimal rest at 10-15 seconds, then the game will be cake.

Then of course strength training in the form of resistance training will help (as Coach pointed out), as well as skills training. These will all feed into one another. I guarantee you if a soccer player added 100 lbs to their squat, their explosion is going to increase, as will their stride, and their ability to plant a foot, cut, and withstand the loads exerted on the body by such a move.

Anyway, sorry, I'm preaching to the choir here I am sure. Its just shameful what is being or not being taught today

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    And deadlifts, Squats Powerclean, Press all make your lower back stronger, right!? In addition to Mark answer, if it is of any help:

"I believe that the maximum distance a multi sprint sport athlete needs to run in one direction during conditioning training should be limited to 20metres. Think about it for a while and try it as I have tried to follow my 20metre rule for the majority of the training year. In the analysis of soccer we can see that it is rare a player runs more than 20m etres in one direction so I ask why should we do anything differently in training. we want to move away from players cruising during the game and move towards attacking the space at pace.

Dr Craig Duncan is currently the director of The Academy of Athletic Development and Head of the Sport and Fitness department at the South Western Sydney Institute of TAFE
    Well I fully expect Australia to triumph at the World Cup in four years time then.

Anyone who plays soccer knows that you often run greater distances than 20m during a match. It's called keeping your shape.

starting strength coach development program
    Keeping your shape? I don't understand. Does Gordon mean that long slow distance is necessary for soccer players to be conditioned?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast