starting strength gym

Thread: First Squat Form Check

Default First Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys, can you give me a quick form check here? This was midway through week 2 of SS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntg5Pxguizk

As well, this is a video of me failing on rep 5, 165lbs. Its week 3, and that was when rip said you would stop being able to keep making 10lb gains. So I am reverting to 5lb gains on the squat. anything wrong with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpvWZtz2SPg

(I posted it to /fit/ before, hence the frequency of the word faggot in the comments)

A few small things to clean up and you'll be fine. It looks like you're a little loose going down (not quite dive bombing), you should keep things a little tighter because it looks like your lumber spine rounds a bit. You're knees also shoot forward in the hole a bit which you don't want in a low-bar back squat so get them forward and out faster (within the first 1/3 to 1/2) of your decent. Your head is also all over the place, but you catch yourself and try to fix it. In the future pick a spot 4' away on the floor and stare at it for the entire set, it should give you more consistent hip drive.

I honestly wish I was squatting like you at your age, keep up the good work. There is nothing wrong with switching to 5lb jumps. If you've failed 165lbs x 5 (reps) x 3 (sets) in three consecutive workouts you'd deload by 10% and start working your way back up at 5lbs per workout. If this is your first time failing at 165lbs, give it another go next workout.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 09-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.

thanks man I appreciate the time you took. I notice on my heavier squats, when i can barely concentrate on my form, i rock onto my toes. Any queues to avoid this?

"sit back" helps me remember to not bring my knees forward

Also, you should set your safeties a lot higher, and your rack a touch lower.
    Last edited by jkw; 09-18-2012 at 04:09 PM.

The biggest problem with your squat is that there's no hip drive. Watch this:

I think I understand hip drive, I have trouble 'balancing', as Rip puts it. it seems I either end up shoving my knees back and doing a goodmorning at the top, or I do something like in my video. How much is too much?

starting strength coach development program
    Right now there's none, so try exaggerating it.