starting strength gym

Thread: power clean technique

Default power clean technique

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    How do I know the difference between using my arms and not using my arms? How do I "feel" I'm doing it right? When it comes up really fast?

You kind of need someone to tell you whether you’re doing it right and then learn how that feels. A coach is helpful. Otherwise, post a form check video and get some critique. I don’t think you’ll find verbal descriptions all that helpful.

But you can usually tell when you’re arm-pulling the bar because you eventually end up with biceps tendinitis. Assuming you’re cleaning regularly.

Here's a nice exercise that helps to get the "feel" of what full extension means.

http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...exerciseID=322

That pull at the end is what full extension should feel like all the time. Notice particularly that his elbows aren't bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Here's a nice exercise that helps to get the "feel" of what full extension means.

http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...exerciseID=322

That pull at the end is what full extension should feel like all the time. Notice particularly that his elbows aren't bent.
    So that's what it looks like. Okay, thanks.

Even in that video it shows no elbow break which is crucial. The bar path you see in that video is the classical s path(assuming it loops behind his head). This bar path demonstrates a violent second pull at the hip crease. You can also have a vertical bar path. One thing I noticed about it is the fact that the lower back angle is more constant. One error you can make is initiate the pull early. In all cases you are using the 'extension' of your hips. It's very hard to explain what i mean. Someone needs to show you..doesn't matter which bar path they use....the second pull is still a second pull. What you can try is some hang cleans. It requires you to use momentum from your other joints. And please, correct me on vertical path if I am wrong. I knew about s path waaaayyyy before I started lifting....but I have never really heard of the vertical path. It sounds like it needs a bit of coaching but def doable. S path can be taut very quickly.
    Last edited by ihatemoney123; 07-19-2011 at 08:39 PM.