starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Rounding Video

Default Deadlift Rounding Video

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I had asked in another post about not being able to get my back flat while dead lifting.
    This is a vid of me doing my 1 set of 5 at 300. This is the heaviest set of 5 I have ever worked up to.
    47 year old for former runner/exerciser working on getting stronger.
    Thanks in advance

YouTube

It appears that your problem isn't that you're not strong enough to hold it flat, but that you lack the awareness to get it flat. It's very hard to teach remotely, because it tends to be understood much better visually and tactilely than verbally. The low back position control video may help you gain control of your low back in the first place, and then try this vid after that:

Thank You for taking the time to look at my Video.
    worked on squeezing the bar off the floor in my workout today. I looked at the video on low back control and feel pretty confident that I am able to control my lower back.
    The issue I feel is my upper back. Seems that I may be Naturally Kyphotic? Tom had mentioned it in a previous question I posted.
    I cant get it flat on the deadlift setup when sqeezing my chest up and not lowering my hips. Have done the superman exercise that was recommend in an article or video on the site. I can lift and hole my chest off the floor easily.
    Similar problem on the Squat the bar rides up my back at the bottom.
    How can I now if Its a natural Kyphosis or If I just need to work more on it? Will another Video from another angle help?
    Again thank you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

Being there in person is, I think, necessary to really be sure and separate a kyphosis from a lack of good squeeze but good quality videos from front oblique and direct side might help us figure that out as best we can from here. However, based on the video you posted, you do not squeeze up or control your back at all. So if you're saying you can and do, then either:
    1. You're wrong
    2. You always do EXCEPT in that one video - highly unlikely
    3. You have learned to do so in the week since you posted that video

I can't think of any other real possibilities here. I'm skeptical, Clint, but like I said, good vids from front oblique and direct side might help. Read the sticky on filming first, if you haven't already. If you have, read it again.

I can't think of any other real possibilities here. I'm skeptical, Clint, but like I said, good vids from front oblique and direct side might help. Read the sticky on filming first, if you haven't already. If you have, read it again.[/QUOTE]

Well I would be Skeptical too. When I see my video it looks like I am not trying to squeeze my back.
    Will get a proper Video up. Hopefully you can see something that can help me.
    I live in south east Florida and ultimately may have to drive or fly north to see a coach about this. Very aggravated about my snowflake problem.
    Thanks again for your time and the very nice reply.

Ha! You're an honest guy, Clint. Let's see how that good video looks and we'll go from there. Joe Leppo up in north FL, and the fine folks up at Atlanta Barbell are probably our closest people to you, though as I wrote in Rip's thread last week, I'm thinking about central/gulf coast FL myself.

I wouldn't live anywhere else than in Central/South FL. Partly Because I own a Fishing Bait and Tackle Store. Not good at dead lifting "yet" But know entirely to much about Fishing and the Business end of it. Bored at times but it has been very good to me. Would not be happy far from warm saltwater.

After giving it some thought... Decided that Clint was doing something wrong. Re watched every video I could think of Staring Strength related. On the lower back control Video. I was contracting my lower back 'getting tight" but didn't pick up on getting in flexion as rip were to say drop my dick between my legs. Can lift and hold me knees of the floor easily for 30 seconds at a time. As rip showed in the video.
    So in this Video from this morning after doing 3/5 squats and bench. Worked up to 275 by 5 on my deads . I am Starting from the top down and squeezing my chest up as hard as I can and also trying to get my lower back in the right position.
    It may look like That it isnt happening but I am sqeezing my back so hard that I am pausing between the later reps to catch my breath. The change in how I get the lower back in position has me looking flatter than I ever have. But still not good from what I can see.

YouTube

Thanks again

OK, this angle was good. It looks from here like you do have a genuine structural kyphosis; I wouldn't absolutely bet the farm on that without seeing it in person, since video can be deceiving, but I think so. Which means your upper back will never look text-book flat, but should be held rigid in that position and not flex further as the bar moves off the floor. And your low back can and should still get flat.

The good news is you're doing that pretty well here. The bad news is that you don't use the act of flattening your back to "squeeze the bar off the floor" as per the video. You still basically yank and jerk on it suddenly, trying to go from 0-60 in 2 seconds flat. As you flatten your back, allow that movement to pull the slack out of the bar so it's already coming up. At a light enough weight, the plates will actually leave the ground just via your squeeze. That's the "heavy in your hands and feet" sensation Niki referred to in the vid. That needs to happen solely via your squeezing back flat, and it's not here.

I will work on the "Heavy in hands and Feet" and make it so
    Thank you very much.
    This has helped me tremendously

starting strength coach development program
    Glad it was helpful. Post your next DL and let's see how you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast