starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Press not progressing

Default Overhead Press not progressing

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Stats: Female 220 lbs Height 5'6 Squat 175 Bench 110 Overhead 70 Deadlift 190

Background: I've been doing the starting strength program for 4 months now. Lost a total of 35lbs so far with a goal of 70 more lbs to go.

Problem: Although I've been eating healthy (1700 calories a day) and progressing well in my squats, bench, and deadlifts, my overhead press has barely moved. I had a trainer look at my form about a month ago and he said it's good. Am I just part t-rex? Or is there something I'm missing to progress more in overhead press?

Welcome to the forums!

Your best bet is to post a video of your press here to rule out poor technique. Color me a skeptic, but I don't trust "trainers." Sorry...

But, pending a video, what are your press work weight at now? How much weight are you adding session to session? Do you have micro plates?

From a programming point of view, are you still doing 3 sets of 5, or have you switched to 5 sets of 3? We need all of the above in order to give you meaningful advice.

What has your OHP progression looked like? How much weight are you adding each workout?

I would think shorter limbs help the upper body lifts because of the shorter ROM. Post a form video.

^ Coach beat me to it.

How do those calories break down into macros?

Quote Originally Posted by Masheenist View Post
    \, my overhead press has barely moved.\
    Post your last 12 press workouts: weight, reps, sets

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Post your last 12 press workouts: weight, reps, sets
    And dates

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Masheenist View Post
    Stats: Female 220 lbs Height 5'6 Squat 175 Bench 110 Overhead 70 Deadlift 190

Background: I've been doing the starting strength program for 4 months now. Lost a total of 35lbs so far with a goal of 70 more lbs to go.

Problem: Although I've been eating healthy (1700 calories a day) and progressing well in my squats, bench, and deadlifts, my overhead press has barely moved. I had a trainer look at my form about a month ago and he said it's good. Am I just part t-rex? Or is there something I'm missing to progress more in overhead press?
    Congratulations on your lifting and the progress you've made. If you're interested in buying microplates, there's a set that I make and sell to folks on this forum:

Microplates for Sale

You will probably find that using small plates (1lb per side, or maybe 0.5lbs per side) will allow you to make consistent progress by slowly and consistently increasing the weight on the bar.