starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Pulls/Chins

Default Training Pulls/Chins

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm doing pullups or chinups once or twice a week with a counterbalance assist. I'm trying to work my way up to unassisted. Since I've got control over the weight, I can dial in a rep range for a 3x(max) workout. I've been shooting for about 3x7 as a point where I add(subtract) 10# and work my way up again. This is working, as I end up doing anywhere from 4-7 reps each on average, but I am wondering if this is the best way to do this, or if I should try to go heavier (less reps) or lighter (more reps) to build foundational strength.

Any ideas?

I like training chins/pullups like I would any other lift. Lots of heavy, low-rep sets and slow progressive loading.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    I like training chins/pullups like I would any other lift. Lots of heavy, low-rep sets and slow progressive loading.
    This gets the official Chinfag Seal of Approval™.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    So, you would do more in the 4-6 rep range?

BP, I don't get what you are on about. Do you have a problem with my question? You are aware that Pull ups and Chin ups are a part of the program, right? I'm trying to get up to bodyweight so I don't have to scale.

If you're trying to build up to a bodyweight chin, wouldn't it make the most sense to do them heavy with low reps?

Quote Originally Posted by strengthstarter View Post
    So, you would do more in the 4-6 rep range?

BP, I don't get what you are on about. Do you have a problem with my question? You are aware that Pull ups and Chin ups are a part of the program, right? I'm trying to get up to bodyweight so I don't have to scale.
    You misinterpreted it. Matt has dubbed me a high level chinfag, due to my weighted chin skills. So I was just endorsing what he said, i.e. agree fully.

I would set the resistance (assistance?) to the point that you can do 5 reps for 5 sets across. Release the weight each workout or when you can until you've reached your goal.

You know the answer. If you want to do 1 bodyweight pullup then you're training to do a single. That means low-rep work.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll bring the reps down a bit, e.g., in the 4-6 rep range (can't dial in too accurately on this thing). The source of my confusion was that Rip's program has pulls and chins sometimes as bodyweight to max, which I imagine for some can be quite a few more than the standard 5.

A few years back I worked up to 14 at a bodyweight of about 87kg (192#) but failed to progress further.

I started adding weights and worked mostly in the 5x5 range. Eventually I got up to 5x5 with 10kg (22#) and 2 with 25kg (55#) which gave me 20 reps at bodyweight.

I'm a fair bit heavier now so 14 is again my BW limit but I recently did 5x5 with 20kg (44 lbs).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by strengthstarter View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll bring the reps down a bit, e.g., in the 4-6 rep range (can't dial in too accurately on this thing). The source of my confusion was that Rip's program has pulls and chins sometimes as bodyweight to max, which I imagine for some can be quite a few more than the standard 5.
    Yes, but you're not to that point yet. You need to first train for one chin/pull, then you can focus on getting more reps in. Baby steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast