starting strength gym

Thread: best conditioning books

Default best conditioning books

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark,

Which books are the best to learn about aerobic programming? Or, put differently, which books serve the same function for aerobic conditioning that your books are designed for in anaerobic programming?

Thank you,
    Ryan

I don't know of any good books on the subject by authors who actually understand what drives VO2 adaptation.

I've found crossfit journal to be very good for most aspects of training, both strength and metcon. A bargain for 25$ subscription.

The Crossfit journal comes to mind.

Might I suggest Crossfit?

OK, thank you, I'll keep that in mind. Among the imperfect books that you know, which one or ones would you recommend most highly? I'm glad that you are intellectually rigorous in identifying shortcomings in the science, the practitioners, and the available learning materials. This is part of what makes you so credible.

I need to start doing something as informed as possible today. I'm going to read the sections on cardio programming in Fundamentals of Strength Training and Conditioning. What else do you recommend?

Thank you,
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know of any good books on the subject by authors who actually understand what drives VO2 adaptation.
    What do you think or Ross Enamait?
    http://www.rosstraining.com/

I have heard him and his training ideas compared to Crossfit, and he had legitimate experience in boxing, training, and written at least three books that have been well-received. They seem pretty no-nonsense conditioning workouts (from what I have seen and tried from his books and the online articles).

-Cheers

starting strength coach development program
    Ross Enamait seems legit, but I haven't looked at his stuff enough to know much more about him. Seems similar to CF, although I understand that he's been around a long time. The ESTC book you are referring to is the NSCA conventional wisdom, available in lots of different books.