starting strength gym

Thread: TM: Monday stall - I'm cornfoosed!

Unhappy TM: Monday stall - I'm cornfoosed!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi!

I have a wrist injury that prevents me from cleaning, so I can only snatch and do the associated strength lifts.

I decided a while ago to take advantage of this injury/back off period to try and use TM on my snatches to see if it works.

This is what I have been doing:

VOL
    SN - 8 sets of 3 reps
    BS - 5 sets of 5 reps
    Weighted Chins - 3-6 sets of 8-15 reps

REC
    SN - 3 sets of 3 reps (with 90% of vol. day)
    FS - 3 sets of 3
    Press - 5 sets of 5

INT
    SN - Go for a PR
    BS - Go for a PR
    Rack pulls/Deadlifts - Go for a 5RM
    DB Bench press - 5 sets of 5

I did this for about 6 weeks and increased my snatch to 87.5kg from 72.5kg.

BUT....

I'm stalling on the snatches on volume days. I'm struggling to complete 8 triples at 77.5kg.

I DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO TURN TO KEEP PROGRESS MOVING!?!?!?

Here are my options I have been thinking of:

-Reduce the number of sets from 8 to 6.

-Increase the number of sets from 8 to 10, with a lower weight.

-Carry on attempting 8 triples, and wait for the strength aquired from squats and deads to carry me through this stall.

-Microload through this stall.

-Perform power snatches on intensity days (like speeds sets).

-Perform an accessory lift on volume days such as RDL's or GM's.

HOW DO I DECIDE WHICH WAY TO TURN?

(I weigh between 80kg-85kg, 5ft 7", eat pretty well, sleep as best I can, etc etc)

Many thanks,
    R P McMurphy

What were your increases on volume day?

1.25kg plate either side = 2.5kg increase every vol day

That's awfully damned optimistic for the snatch, like it would be for the press over that much time. I'd back off and use smaller jumps since the basic approach was obviously sound.

Thanks rip!

1.25kg plates are the smallest in my gym.
    I have contacted a manufacturer of flat plate washers, and they make flat plate washers that weigh 0.33g. So I will buy a heap and microload. I was going buy them for my press anyway.

You're right about the basic appoach being sound - I'm not sure of you have ever used this approach for O-lifting, but for it is mind blowing how much progress I have made.
    I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked if I am using steroids, because I have added more to my snatch than others have to their squat.

When my wrist gets better, do the same regime for my cleans. But perhaps for 6 sets for both snatches and cleans on the same volume day. Or maybe 8 if I can tolerate it.

This is a bit of a side question on texas method for all lifts, but how do you decide to reduce the sets on volume day, or to add a set or two?

The same way you decide about everything else you don't know about but need to learn: you try it and see what happens. Manipulate the variable and record the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Randle McMurphy View Post
    This is a bit of a side question on texas method for all lifts, but how do you decide to reduce the sets on volume day, or to add a set or two?
    My answer isn't as scientific as Rip's, but generally your body and a little common sense will let you know. When you 5x5 squats start to require 10-15 minute breaks between sets then generally a reduction in volume/intensity or both is needed. If you are blowing through your 5x5 stuff on 2-3 min rests, then you could probably stand to hit your volume workout a little harder.

Also, look at the TM section in PP, it answers your question in pretty good detail. MOST of the time a performance regression on your intensity day is a signal to offload your volume day a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    When you 5x5 squats start to require 10-15 minute breaks between sets then generally a reduction in volume/intensity or both is needed. If you are blowing through your 5x5 stuff on 2-3 min rests, then you could probably stand to hit your volume workout a little harder.
    I would view that a gauge of intensity/weight rather than volume. To me, volume is almost entirely related to post-training recovery and subsequent session performance

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    I would view that a gauge of intensity/weight rather than volume. To me, volume is almost entirely related to post-training recovery and subsequent session performance

You would view what as a guage of intensity/weight, rather than volume? Sorry, don't quite understand where we differ?