starting strength gym

Thread: Scapula "sticking"

Default Scapula "sticking"

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'd normally ask the Internet doctors in the rest of the forum if this were about me, but alas, it is not.

My girlfriend has a random issue where her scapula will get stuck in a protracted position, typically after she has been in a particular position for a while and moves suddenly. It happened this past week after cradling a kitten for a while, and to get it "unstuck" she had one person basically pulling her arm forward and another push on the outside edge (lateral?).

It's not a common occurrence, but now that she's started working out with me, I'm trying to figure out exactly what causes it and if there is anything I need to be wary of. I am just starting to understand shoulder joint function, and this is a bit beyond my abilities right now. I'm not even sure how to search for information on it, so the answer may be somewhere on here.

Thoughts?

Never heard of this.

So, this is your "girlfriends" shoulder, huh? It's okay to admit that you cradle kittens.

Is there any pain involved when her shoulder is stuck or when trying to get it unstuck?

Sounds similar to something that my wife complains about sometimes. I think "stuck" is for lack of a better description on their part. It is likely more of a cramp, and because of the pain they aren't able or willing to move it on their own. Something similar might affect you, and you would grunt through it and be done.

Of course, I would be an idiot to tell her this, so I play along.

Quote Originally Posted by yorick View Post
    So, this is your "girlfriends" shoulder, huh? It's okay to admit that you cradle kittens.
    I have been made fun of by friends about how I get around dogs and cats. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by yorick View Post
    Is there any pain involved when her shoulder is stuck or when trying to get it unstuck?
    Yes, down at the bottom tip (what the pictures label as the inferior margin) when she tries to move her arm out of the position it was in before the shoulder blade bound. She said if someone just pulls on her arm she can get it "back in place".

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Sounds similar to something that my wife complains about sometimes. I think "stuck" is for lack of a better description on their part. It is likely more of a cramp, and because of the pain they aren't able or willing to move it on their own. Something similar might affect you, and you would grunt through it and be done.
    Judging by the way she's describing it, I don't think so.

I can't figure out if maybe it's binding up top somewhere which changes the angle and causes the lower tip of the blade to dig in, causing the pain (but the actual "stuck" part being up top), or if the tip is binding itself and getting "stuck".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    I can't figure out if maybe it's binding up top somewhere which changes the angle and causes the lower tip of the blade to dig in, causing the pain (but the actual "stuck" part being up top), or if the tip is binding itself and getting "stuck".
    That would require a bony deformation of the inferior border of the scapula, which would most likely involve a trauma, which would have an obvious explanation.