• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Coaches. My info with weight in lbs:

Weight: 175 > 221
    Squat: 86 > 280
    Bench: 100 > 153
    Press: Bar > 121
    Deadlift: 135 > 310

In my last squat workout on Friday I hit 280x5x3. I felt that I was dive-bombing into the hole on some reps so I repeated 280 today (Monday) and after hitting 5 reps on the first set I had to ditch the weight on rep 3 of set 2. I felt beat up after this so dropped to 265x5 for the final set of 5.

My question: Should I repeat 280 next time or chalk it up to a fluke and go for 285? I felt pretty strong on Friday other than the dive-bomb. Not sure what happened today, seemed just a little tired and I think it got forward of mid-foot too much.

Nutrition-wise I'm eating ~3500 cal/day so don't think that's the issue, and I'm averaging 8 hours sleep a night. Last week I also switched to doing a light day (80%) on Wednesdays after noticing that I didn't seem to be recovering enough on Fridays.

Video would be of use, but try 285. See how it goes. Why is your bench press only 30 pounds ahead of your press?

Thanks Tom. I will try 285 next time and see if I can grab some video.

I have really struggled with the bench, which is unfortunate because it's the lift that I most want to get my numbers up for. I often have to repeat a weight for 2 or 3 workouts to get it, and that is using 2 lb jumps. My press on the other hand has gone up pretty smoothly using 2 lb jumps. I actually reset my bench recently after failing at 153 (5,5,4) for 3 workouts, and when I got back to 151 today I barely got my reps. Don't think it's a form issue but will try to grab video there as well. I'm wondering if I should go to 1 lb jumps so I'm at least making consistent progress.

I would bet there is something up with your bench form given your other numbers. You can certainly try one pound jumps. Six or seven pounds a month on the bench adds up over the course of six months, but I bet there is quicker progress to be had at this point.