starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lifting in your 70s

Default lifting in your 70s

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

My dad turned 71 today and he has been doing some dumbbell work over the last couple months, but doesn't have a lot of direction. Could someone recommend a routine? I have tried finding info for him, but its been tough. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy birthday, ole man!

Starting Strength is perfect for any age. We have a video someplace here showing a 91 year old woman in Starting Strength. There are many ways to adapt the program. Box Squats with a broom handle may be one place. If he is more flexible try a 15 lb empty bar for a starter. If more flexible then you may find a 45 lb. bar will work. Use Technical places (5 lbs each) for deadlift. I.e, he could start with 55 lbs. Tell us more about your Dad and any physical limitations he may have. The best way to start for any of us is to go to a Certified Starting Strength Coach. It is the safest and most effective way to go. BTW how far are you into SS training?

Quote Originally Posted by selects View Post
    Hi,

My dad turned 71 today and he has been doing some dumbbell work over the last couple months, but doesn't have a lot of direction. Could someone recommend a routine? I have tried finding info for him, but its been tough. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy birthday, ole man!
    Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression with power cleans excuded and probably a slightly lower frequency is probably the recommendation you'll get around here.

The SS program with everything but power cleans would be fine for him. Probably lifting twice a week or three times every two weeks might be the ticket for allowing for his recovery. Andy Baker has written an article about such training for the elderly here somewhere. He and Rip and Sully are working on a book on the subject too.

Get Starting Strength and have him read and better yet get some coaching to assure good form if possible. The basic programming in there and in Practical Programming by Rip also has some routine suggestions for the older folks.

I just read your questions to Andy Baker. You have made good progress. Two observations: 1. It's not unusual to reach the limits of Linear Projection even when one is eating properly. You may be nearing that limit and may need to go to the next stage. 2. At 6'1" and 212 you are not overweight. Why are you trying to lose weight? This may be adding to your slowdown.

Get the SS and PP 3 books .There is a section for special populations written just for a guy like your dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression with power cleans excuded and probably a slightly lower frequency is probably the recommendation you'll get around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The SS program with everything but power cleans would be fine for him. Probably lifting twice a week or three times every two weeks might be the ticket for allowing for his recovery.
    Nailed it. Just sayin'

Yeah, sorry for being repetitive. I was typing my post when you and carson already responded. Self intiated Gibbs slap to the back of my own head when I saw yours.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Tell us more about your Dad and any physical limitations he may have. The best way to start for any of us is to go to a Certified Starting Strength Coach. It is the safest and most effective way to go.
    He's got a really bad knee actually... basically needs a knee replacement, but he doesn't want to have it done yet. I'm afraid he might be stuck doing upper body stuff.

My parents live pretty far from a gym (country), and I bought him dumbbells, weights, and a bench which is all the equipment he has currently. I could ship him some more stuff though if you guys recommend it.

Thanks for all the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast