starting strength gym

Thread: Farmer's Walks?

Default Farmer's Walks?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    What are your (coaches) thoughts on Farmer's Walks? I've read some Dan John articles in which John talks them up a lot but I've noticed that none of the big time lifters in the Competitive Training Logs section of the website do them.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Dan John's cool and he talks a lot of things up a lot. I think there are more efficient ways of doing what farmer's walks do outside of strongman competition and when really strong people are pushing 3 hour workouts, why would they spend time on less efficient things? I use farmer's walks with little old ladies and regular personal training clients who may get bored pushing a prowler every week.

Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    What are your (coaches) thoughts on Farmer's Walks?... I've noticed that none of the big time lifters in the Competitive Training Logs section of the website do them.
    If you're competing in strongman, they're essential. Otherwise, they're nice, but not usually the best option for the situation. For one thing, most people don't have access to good implements for them. Barbells are awkward and dumbbells hit your legs. I think they're great for training grip strength, but otherwise not often worth the hassle.

Thanks guys.