starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - 5RM

Default Squat form check - 5RM

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I would be very glad if you have the time to take a look at my squat form and give me some input.

http://www.coachseye.com/BQgg

What I notice from watching the video is that my knees seems to go in a little bit on the way up. This does not happen for lower weights and I always think about this when not on the work set, so not sure how to fix this.

I'm trying to do the low-bar squat, but my shoulders are quite inflexible. Is the bar low enough?

Also, is the depth ok? I've resetted once to fix the depth and I'm almost back to the weight I had before.

I should note that I was not able to complete all three sets (this was the first work set) with this weight today, but I know i've not been eating enough lately.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Euler; 05-29-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Depth is fine. I _think_ the bar is in the right place, but your friend can check. Have him feel your shoulder blades and find the ridge. It's easier to feel towards the outside of the shoulder. Then, have him jam his thumbs in hard so you can feel the spot. Then put the bar there.

Things to fix:

1) Turn your toes out a bit more. This will help you keep your knees out.
    2) Turn around and quit looking in the mirror. Find a spot on the floor about 4-5 feet in front of you (a meter and a half? I don't know metric). Look at that spot.
    3) Check your wrists. They are bent, and you will eventually get elbow tendinitis. Get them over the bar.

If you consciously think "Hip Drive" at the bottom, this will help you get your knees to quit moving in. Your hips lead the motion out of the bottom, and your knees only follow.