starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Seen "Godless"?

Default Have You Seen "Godless"?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark, I was wondering if you'd seen the Netflix mini-series "Godless" yet? I thought it was one of the best Westerns I've seen in years.
    Slow burn, subtle character development, amazing performance by Jeff Daniels (who I never thought ALL that much of except for his role in "Gettysburg" years ago. A unique take on a town populated mostly by women and a tense build up that nearly rivaled the original (not the latest, piece of crap) Magnificent Seven.

It was nominated for a ton of emmys but I don't think it won any which was criminal in my book. Anyway wondered if you'd seen it and what you thought. I actually found it worth watching a 2nd time where subtle foreshadowings revealed themselves a bit more.

It SEEMS to be up your alley from what you've written in the movies threads and we often agree on films so thought I'd at least recommend it to you.

Haven't seen it, I don't think my connection at home is good enough to support Netflix. Doesn't look like it's available on DVD yet.

I really like the series. Not sure if anything Netflix puts out goes to DVD though.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Godless is good, but barely holds a candle to Deadwood.

Nothing does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nothing does.
    The Wire does, even if you're not interested in Baltimore/inner city stuff. Story, characters and philosophy are as good as Deadwood. It only falls short on the unique Shakespearean voice.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    The Wire does, even if you're not interested in Baltimore/inner city stuff. Story, characters and philosophy are as good as Deadwood. It only falls short on the unique Shakespearean voice.
    Talking about cowboy based stuff, though.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I really like the series. Not sure if anything Netflix puts out goes to DVD though.
    Forgot to say that the cinemaphotography is also awesome in "Godless". Obvious influences by guys like John Ford, etc. but superbly done. The music isn't too shabby either.
    A few critics thought there wasn't much character development but these particular critics were devoid of the ability to see subtle things that spoke volumes and wait (the lst episode or two are a little slow) for the back stories to unfold-later.

It's a shame that Netflix isn't putting 9t's shows out on DVD also (apparently) but then it's going to get harder to even buy a CD player and maybe even DVD players soon, the way the streaming/downloading world is going.

For those who might compare "Godless" to "Deadwood" (of which I'm a fan also) is to compare apples to oranges. Different mood and 10,000 less utterances of the term: "cocksucker" so that might disappoint...

Definitely good entertainment!

starting strength coach development program
    "Godless" was definitely one of the better westerns in recent years...

If one enjoyed "Open Range", by way of example, I think they'd enjoy "Godless".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast