starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I think my lower back might be arched, especially in rep 2 and 4 but I can't be sure

Cheers for any help

Looks like a well equipped gym.

You never get all the way squeezed up. You squeeze some, but you need to keep squeezing harder till your back is in extension and you've pulled all the slack out of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Looks like a well equipped gym.

You never get all the way squeezed up. You squeeze some, but you need to keep squeezing harder till your back is in extension and you've pulled all the slack out of the bar.
    Mr. Wolf: is it still considered a set of 5 if you stand up and drink a glass of milk between reps?

If it's milk, yes. If it's water, no. Unless it has creatine in it, in which case, a definite maybe.

Thanks. Can I post another video of a smaller weight to check if I am fully squeezed up?

That's the idea. If it's more than a week after the last post on this thread, you'll need to make a new thread.

I made sure my back was as squeezed as possible. Here's the result at 60kg.

I found the result to be the same for 70kg, while at my "workset" of 85kg i pretty much found it impossible to keep my back squeezed the entire time (can post the video if you want to look at it) leading me to believe that 70kg should really be my workset (better form)

I did notice though that squeezing my back more made my hips go down, making my back angle more vertical (inflexible hamstrings..?). Also noticed that the bar path on the way down is not vertical, has to go around my knees. Not sure what to do about that or if that problem is directly tied with my lower hips

Quote Originally Posted by madscone999 View Post
    I made sure my back was as squeezed as possible. Here's the result at 60kg.

Yes, your squeeze is better here. Though you don't re-set and re-squeeze between reps, these are closer to touch-n-go.

I did notice though that squeezing my back more made my hips go down, making my back angle more vertical (inflexible hamstrings..?).
    No. YOU LET your hips drop, to make it easier to squeeze. The DL set-up is not necessarily easy or comfortable; it's hard and uncomfortable for many people. This is no excuse to let your hips drop and thus push the bar forward of mid-foot.

Also noticed that the bar path on the way down is not vertical, has to go around my knees. Not sure what to do about that or if that problem is directly tied with my lower hips
    Shockingly, what you do about this is put the bar down in a way that doesn't make it go around your knees. How do you think you might possibly accomplish this?

No. YOU LET your hips drop, to make it easier to squeeze. The DL set-up is not necessarily easy or comfortable; it's hard and uncomfortable for many people. This is no excuse to let your hips drop and thus push the bar forward of mid-foot.
    Ok. I'll make sure I keep as squeezed as possible and in between reps while keeping my hips where they always were.

Shockingly, what you do about this is put the bar down in a way that doesn't make it go around your knees. How do you think you might possibly accomplish this?
    I suppose if I keep my hips up this won't be a problem to begin with

starting strength coach development program
    I suppose if I keep my hips up this won't be a problem to begin with
    That's not it. Put the bar down in the exact opposite order you picked it up. Keep it on your legs, and lean over first, then once the bar is below your knees, only THEN bend your knees.