starting strength gym

Thread: Helping a friend with the Squat

Default Helping a friend with the Squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am helping a friend of mine in the gym. He has seen my physique change over the past 18 months and recently asked me what I am doing that has had such a dramatic effect. He is slightly overweight and because he is in his mid-30's and has 3 kids under 4, he hasn't had much time for the gym. As a result, not only has he started to pack on the pounds but he is also losing the V-taper, shoulders and arms that he had effortlessly in his latte teens and 20's.

So I started coaching him out of my garage last month and his number are improving, he doesn't hurt when he wakes up in the morning and even his body composition is beginning to improve.

There is one aspect of his squat that always seems to recur, on concentric portion of the lift, the bar has the tendency to roll up his back about an inch or so. I told him that he needs to get some shoes, which he has on order. I told him to pinch his shoulders together and get his chest up. These two tips have reduced the "rollage" but no eliminated it.

Any advice?

~Vegvisir

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

Also, some chalk on the back may help, as well as a cotton shirt. Some of the polyester shirts are quite slick. Just my two cents

I'd concur with Royce - it's most likely a thoracic extension issue and there may be some grip issues in there, too. The cotton shirts help as does a bar with nice center knurling - but the upper back control is far more important. Post a video.

Default good article

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    I'd concur with Royce - it's most likely a thoracic extension issue and there may be some grip issues in there, too. The cotton shirts help as does a bar with nice center knurling - but the upper back control is far more important. Post a video.

I am training him later this week. I will ask him if it is ok for me to post and get one up then. I just went and read the article posted by Royce Nichols. I think he is correct. I have been telling him that his upper back is not tight and that he is too far forward on the concentric. I will try the shirt thing and see if telling him that his upper back is a "big, soft, fucking, mess" helps. Either way I will try to post a vid.

~Vegvisir