starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip problems

Default Hip problems

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have developed a problem with my squats and deadlifts. Basically my hips keep getting knocked out of place. I went to a chiro and she got everything lined up where it belongs. The problem is every time I try to lift I knock everything out of place and have to go back. This also causes pain in my left knee because the bar gets lopsided during squats. Have you ever heard of anything like this? And if so what needs to be done to fix the problem? I feel like such a pussy not doing squats and deads at the gym.

"Knocked out of place" is a horribly imprecise term. I don't deal with imprecision well.

The chiro told me that one side keeps rotating forward. That is the best I can explain the problem right now.

Sorry, not enough info.

Well, what information do you need? I am only asking you because the answer I get from the chiro and PTs around here is "don't do squats and deads".

Well, without any more information about what is actually wrong, since I can't tell from here, the only thing I can tell you is that you don't hurt as bad as I do and I still train. So quit being a pussy and get under the bar until something actually breaks.

How's that?

I had the same...kind of. Stretch tight spots, go to your chiro as often as you have to and eventually it stays in place. Kind of vague really but it worked.

These replies are always hilarious when they're aimed at someone else. :-)

During my ignorant days of trying to squat using a smith machine I developed some back pain that stopped me from doing squats completely. I walked around for a couple months with pain in my right lower back, then pain in my right lower back and right knee, then pain in my right lower back, right knee, and right ankle. Eventually, I had pain in my right lower back, right knee, right ankle, and, strangely enough, right ball. (The location seemed strange, not the ball itself.) So I saw a doctor who referred me to a PT who told me that one side of my pelvis had rotated forward like you. She told me the squats were probably the cause and to do some static stretching along with the drills as shown in the attached images. All the pain went away in a couple weeks after doing the stretching and drills every morning and night. I still do these drills before and after squats and deadlifts to keep discomfort to a minimum and my cheap ass out of a chiropractor's office. Hopefully you find them helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

starting strength coach development program
    And the couple of weeks of not squatting on the smith machine might have helped as much as the stretches. Did the PT tell you how much the side of your pelvis had rotated forward?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast