starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form (after 1.5 month deload)

Default Squat form (after 1.5 month deload)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I tried to fix my squats after being told they were too high and my knees were tracking inwards. I'd been getting feedback on another forum, but my thread kind of died, so I thought maybe people here might have a look at my video?
    Warning: it's not a good video. We're in a small room and can't get the proper angles. So I understand if a mod wants to delete this thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGntbiREKw8

I've only just started getting stronger with this again after two deloads, which took about one and a half months (we thought the knee issue was dangerous) - so I really hope these are at least 'okay'.

Should probably also mention I'm hypermobile.

Oh, and the bar is tilted, I think, because I have a tendancy to push one arm up higher than the other. They feel even to me, though I can probably correct it, but I forget every time I go to squat (trying to focus on pushing the knees out). Is this dangerous? I don't feel it puts me off-balance.

Lucy, your knees do collapse inward. Your toes should be pointed out at 30 degrees. The knees go where the ankles and hips tell them.

I will let a coach work this one out. I'm not qualified to fix this on a forum.

Okay - thanks. I tried pointing my toes out (along with lots of other changes) and that didn't really make a difference. I don't know if I can find the other video but it was much worse before, so I think it's improving... but evidently, not acceptable yet :/

The main concern should be to train safely. Safety is a product of good technique and facilitates long term, injury-free training to achieve your strength goals.

Don't be disheartened. No one gets there over night.

Had major knee tracking issues which took months and a couple de-loads to make real progress on. I'll share one tip that helped me at the beginning: show off your crotch. No, you don't need to squat sans-pants , but if you constantly cue yourself to be showing your crotch to the world (or in your case, your couch) it will help keep the knees out.

A coach can help you through getting the rest of the lift right, but wanted to share that one which helped me at the very beginning.

I am no coach but here are my thoughts:
    • take a wider stance
    • point toes out more (about 30 degrees)
    • keep everything tight for a more controlled movement

Personally, these 3 things helped me immensely, and from your video, it seems like they could help you, too.

Good luck.

DannyP -
    Had major knee tracking issues which took months and a couple de-loads to make real progress on. I'll share one tip that helped me at the beginning: show off your crotch. No, you don't need to squat sans-pants , but if you constantly cue yourself to be showing your crotch to the world (or in your case, your couch) it will help keep the knees out.

A coach can help you through getting the rest of the lift right, but wanted to share that one which helped me at the very beginning.
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    Can't afford a coach, unfortunately.

Mountainman -

take a wider stance
    point toes out more (about 30 degrees)
    keep everything tight for a more controlled movement
    Unfortunately, I already tried 1 & 2 and it didn't help me keep my knees out (but did just generally make the squats feel weird, so I saw no benefit to continuing like that).
    On the third point, I'm certainly trying - where am I lacking tightness?

You need someone to yell at you. KEEP YOUR KNEES JAMMED THE FUCK OUT! JAM EM OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    On the third point, I'm certainly trying - where am I lacking tightness?
    It's not necessarily a visible thing, but it's a cue that has helped me immensely. By staying tight (and telling yourself to "stay tight" the entire rep), you'll ensure a more controlled descent, and you'll be in a better position to explode out of the hole. I'm talking about proper breathing to keep the core tight, and also keeping all of your leg muscles engaged.

It's hard to explain, but before, when I was squatting and "loosening up" at the bottom to achieve maximum depth, it's almost like I would fall with the weight during descent, rather than controlling the descent with my own strength.

Watching your video again, keep repeating what Tiburon said, but also keep saying "stay tight".

Also, I mentioned the "toes out" because that helped me to force my knees out. When I started to think about my knees tracking properly over my feet, I started to realize that KNEES NEED TO GO OUT.

Try that and see how it works.

starting strength coach development program
    Tiburon -
    Ha - unfortunately, I don't respond well to being shouted at during lifts At best, it doesn't make a difference. At worst, it will turn into a shouting match (not on purpose. Normally, I'm not aggressive at all).

Mountainman -
    Okay, I see what you mean. I'm kind of already doing that, to be honest, but I can try and think about it more... I'm already unfortunately thinking 'knees out' throughout the whole lift. I'm trying really hard, it just... doesn't really happen - or not enough. They were definitely caving in more in the past. I'm starting to wonder if my hips/adducters (whatever holds the knees out) are particularly weak. My knees are somewhat valgus, I wonder if that might also be contributing...

Are these at least deep enough? (Suppose it's probably not easy to tell with the angle)
    Edit - also, do you guys think my bar placement is okay? My husband thinks it's too low, but it feels comfortable to me.
    Last edited by Lucy; 04-10-2015 at 03:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast