starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for first 24-48 hours after 5x5 squats

Default Tips for first 24-48 hours after 5x5 squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Since getting my 5x5 squats over 450lb, I've felt like I've been run over by a truck, starting at around 24 hours after the workout and lasting for the next couple of days. I'm still recovering in time to PR singles across three days later, but I'm wondering whether there's anything I can do nutritionally to optimise recovery - more total calories in the day afterwards, more carbs, etc.

My current plan is to drink more milk, get more sleep, and start supplementing with Beta Alanine to help with fatigue.

Thanks.

I don't think extra food will help you "goose" recovery unless you are calorie restricted right now. I do think hydration, frequent BCAA dosing, and active recovery techniques (contrast showers/ice baths/compression cuffs) can be useful if training frequency is high. Overall, I don't think there's much to do that will decrease soreness outside of the water and BCAAs.

B alanine is useful for intraworkout fatigue, but not necessarily recovery from training over the course of many hours. Creatine is obviously useful, as is betaine anhydrous, HMB, and L-Carnitine Tartrate.

I have exact same problem as OP. Although my volume weights are lower, I'm still squatting well over double my bodyweight for 5x5. I just recently started supplementing with BCAA's and I've definitely noticed a difference in terms of recovery after volume day. You still feel like shit on Tuesdays but the soreness usually dissipates right after my recovery day workout.

Last semester I scheduled my classes so all my tutorials were on Tuesdays so I could just lay in bed all day haha. The things we do to make gains...

Thanks, Jordan - helpful stuff. I'll follow the advice in the sticky:

BCAA 5g between meals (1.5-3hrs post meal), 10-15g post workout. Non Training days: 5g BCAA between meals.

B Alanine 2g pre, 2g post, 2g with dinner on training days. 2g x 3 servings on non training days.

Hey Jordan what about hyperbaric chambers? would that help?

Quote Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
    Only if you're lifting weights in your garage with the car running and the doors closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    Only if you're lifting weights in your garage with the car running and the doors closed.
    Or if you were in your small apartment with a gas heater on high and your neighbor found you unconscious. Seems like I see that one a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    What about a Hyperbolic Time Chamber?
    Hah! That was a classic YouTube moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Eh, it's more psychosomatic than anything else. I do think the epsom salt baths and magnesium tend to promote relaxation and rest, so if it improves sleep then you're likely to see a physiological benefit. Outside of that, meh.

starting strength coach development program
    Jordan, BCAA and more water have made a big difference to how I feel after 5x5 this week. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast