starting strength gym

Thread: Clarification on Pre and Post Workout Meals Vs Supplementation

Default Clarification on Pre and Post Workout Meals Vs Supplementation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Jordan, I hope this inquiry is not too repetitive. I did spend a good amount of time looking through old posts about pre and post-workout nutrition. I learned a lot and appreciate all of the information you provide for us. That said I am a little confused on a couple points and would appreciate some help if you do not mind.

Given a situation where a trainee trains at 2 pm, a meal and supplement schedule could look something like this:

7 am: Breakfast
    9:30 am: 5 g BCAA's
    12 pm: Lunch
    1:30 pm: 5-10 g BCAA's, creatine, caffeeine, carbs, etc (pre-workout mix)
    2 pm: train
    3 pm: 10-15 g BCAA's, creatine, carbs
    4 pm: Late afternoon meal/shake
    5:30 pm: 5 g BCAA's
    7 pm: Dinner
    Before bed: Finish any macros not hit

You have often talked about low-fat and high-carb totals around the workout. For the template I showed above, would the "Lunch" (12 pm) and the "Afternoon Meal" (4 pm)
    be considered "around the workout" and thus be low-fat (and ideally high-carb) for a 2 pm training session? In a semi-unrelated second question, do you still like to have protein as 25-35% of total calories for weight/muscle gain as you mention in To Be a Beast?

Thank you for your time!

CD

You have often talked about low-fat and high-carb totals around the workout. For the template I showed above, would the "Lunch" (12 pm) and the "Afternoon Meal" (4 pm) be considered "around the workout" and thus be low-fat (and ideally high-carb) for a 2 pm training session?
    Yes.

In a semi-unrelated second question, do you still like to have protein as 25-35% of total calories for weight/muscle gain as you mention in To Be a Beast?
    Roughly, yes.