Thread: Groin pinch out of the hole in squats

Default Groin pinch out of the hole in squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Coaches,

About me:
    Male, 30 years old, 169 lbs, 5' 7".

Had a rough workout a couple of days ago for squats (195 lbs), my form deteriorated severely and I felt a pinching pain on my left groin for the last few reps. I didn't think much of it until this morning when I did a couple bodyweight squats to stretch and I really couldn't reach proper depth before feeling the same pinching pain. This is the only movement when there is pain. The pain is not unbearable but enough to let me know something is going on there.

For reference, the pinch location is on the hip end of the adductor brevis/pectineus area as shown in SS:BBT3's figure 2-44A.

I think it might be a tendon issue, since there has been no swelling and there is only pain when the adductors are stretched. After searching the forum, I wonder if this is a train-around or a train-through issue. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

-Rene

Without a video its hard to tell. I doubt seriously it's a tendon issue. Likely you are pinching something due to poor form since it only hurts at the bottom, regardless of weight.

Thank you for the response. I believe I've been squatting with my feet too far apart. If I bring them in a couple of inches, I can drop all the way without any issues and it feels a lot better balance-wise.
    Unfortunately, I am not allowed to video at the gym I train in, but after spending a good afternoon this week looking at form checks, I believe I've been squatting wide and keeping my shins too vertical.
    I will deload and work on form, will post a for check as soon as I can get away with taping one.