starting strength gym

Thread: DL Check

Default DL Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

my girlfriend has been training with me for a little while and her deadlifts are getting heavy, so I would really appreciate a form check. She switched to 5 triples (as written in PPST).

115lbx3 @ 110lb (5th set)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1mUEcNV1lU

(You'll propably need to turn the quality up a bit.)

[My observations: She's dropping her hips on the second and third rep. On the first rep she is following the setup cues, which puts her hips higher than her shoulders. Is this the correct starting position for her?
    Also, her back is rounding a bit. She was able to pull the first sets without rounding, which only started in the fourth and fifth set.]

Thanks in advance!

115 isn't heavy for her yet. I would not switch her to five sets of three at this point, either. Her correct starting position will be more like the second rep. On her first rep, she looks like she starts a little too close to the bar, putting her shoulders too far in front of the bar and leaving her hips too high. She may have the bar a little ahead of the midfoot on two and three, but not by much and I really cannot tell from the angle provided. I feel like a broken record here, but the sticky covers how to shoot videos correctly. Compare your video with this dude's video:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=53697

Having the camera set lower and at an angle slightly to the front, but still mostly a side shot makes critiquing deads A LOT easier. However, we did get to see that guy doing one handed barbell tosses on the landmine setup. That is something, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    However, we did get to see that guy doing one handed barbell tosses on the landmine setup. That is something, I suppose.
    Indeed. He appears to be working on a little gurning during the set too.

I'm very sorry for the bad video. I was going for the high side shot mentioned in the sticky,but I can see how I failed. It won't happen again.

Should she just repeat the same weight for three sets of five?

Quote Originally Posted by Sool View Post
    I'm very sorry for the bad video. I was going for the high side shot mentioned in the sticky,but I can see how I failed. It won't happen again.

Should she just repeat the same weight for three sets of five?
    Not to worry. Everyone fucks up the videos. I would consider keeping her at one set of five for a while. I have had good luck with women and fives. While the deadlifts are heavy, there is just one set of them. If she is deadlifting every workout, or every other workout that would probably be enough volume. You could look at transitioning her to something else if the need becomes apparent. Deadlifts are hard. That is why they are effective. Trying to make them easier at this point will not be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    I had to look up what gurning was.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I would consider keeping her at one set of five for a while.
    I will do that and report back once progress stops.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    My gym is a weird place...