starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm up Sets

Default Warm up Sets

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Background:
    8 weeks into SS that took me from a 3x5x100 to 3x5x285 back squat while adding close to 20 lbs to my frame. (170-190)
    Question:
    My third set of my 3x5 is significantly more powerful than the first two sets. Does this mean I need to be doing more warm up sets?

Current warm up:
    2x5x45
    1x1x135
    1x1x185
    1x1x235
    1x1x260

Not meant to be accusing, but is there a reason why you're not following the warm-up protocol (5,5,5,3,2) as found as SSBBTIII?
    If my work-sets were 285, then the warm-ups would look like this. . .

45@2x5
    105x5
    165x3
    225x2
    ---
    As for being more powerful, there are several possibilities:
    1) Your Range of Motion isn't enough, and you didn't hit depth as with sets 1 & 2.
    2) Realizing that you only have one last set to do (and the others are nicely behind you) is giving you psychological motivation since you're almost done. (I experience this).
    3) A pre-workout stimulant is kicking in full force (if you take that stuff)
    4) "Hot" girls walked into the view of you in your rack/cage.
    5) Someone removed the 5lbs plate from each side of your bar while you left the area to chat up the "hot" girls that just came in?

M-T

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    Not meant to be accusing, but is there a reason why you're not following the warm-up protocol (5,5,5,3,2) as found as SSBBTIII?
    If my work-sets were 285, then the warm-ups would look like this. . .

45@2x5
    105x5
    165x3
    225x2
    ---
    As for being more powerful, there are several possibilities:
    1) Your Range of Motion isn't enough, and you didn't hit depth as with sets 1 & 2.
    2) Realizing that you only have one last set to do (and the others are nicely behind you) is giving you psychological motivation since you're almost done. (I experience this).
    3) A pre-workout stimulant is kicking in full force (if you take that stuff)
    4) "Hot" girls walked into the view of you in your rack/cage.
    5) Someone removed the 5lbs plate from each side of your bar while you left the area to chat up the "hot" girls that just came in?

M-T
    LOL. That cracked me up.

I start with barbell and I add 10kg every set. Few reps, at first I do 5 and at last 1

I do this at DL, SQ, BP and pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    I start with barbell and I add 10kg every set. Few reps, at first I do 5 and at last 1

I do this at DL, SQ, BP and pull ups.
    So if you were going to do a deadlift workset at 200 kg, you'd start with the 20 kg bar, and do a set at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, etc... all the way up to 200? That's a lot of volume and time...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    So if you were going to do a deadlift workset at 200 kg, you'd start with the 20 kg bar, and do a set at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, etc... all the way up to 200? That's a lot of volume and time...
    Yes, that's true. But if you do low reps each warm up set (1-2 reps), you will do so fast and that's not a big volumen.

I think that it's a mistake to do low warm up sets of exercises like deadlift. The injury risk is greater

Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    Yes, that's true. But if you do low reps each warm up set (1-2 reps), you will do so fast and that's not a big volumen.

I think that it's a mistake to do low warm up sets of exercises like deadlift
    It's a heck of a lot of volume, and would be counterproductive in this case.
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 11-04-2014 at 01:14 PM.

I read Andy's article ,http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com/warm/ , about how relatively heavy warm up sets are used for neural stimulation and agreed with the concepts he presented.

I think that this is the main culprit. I am hitting depth and crushing each rep, I dont use any stimulants and I lift at a D1 university gym so there are babes around the entire time. But having already completed my two other sets I don't unconsciously have to leave anything in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisgolfboll View Post
    After rereading Andy's article I am gonna try adding in more with just the bar for this Thursdays workout and see how that feels.

3x5-10x45
    1x1x135
    1x1x185
    1x1x235
    1x1x260
    3x5x290

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Scalone View Post
    I read Andy's article ,http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com/warm/ , about how relatively heavy warm up sets are used for neural stimulation and agreed with the concepts he presented.

I think that this is the main culprit. I am hitting depth and crushing each rep, I dont use any stimulants and I lift at a D1 university gym so there are babes around the entire time. But having already completed my two other sets I don't unconsciously have to leave anything in the tank.

After rereading Andy's article I am gonna try adding in more with just the bar for this Thursdays workout and see how that feels.

3x5-10x45
    1x1x135
    1x1x185
    1x1x235
    1x1x260
    3x5x290
    I dont think your last squat set is better because your warmup was poor. Then the 2nd squat set would be atleast as good.

Andy suggests that you use 5 reps, then 3, then singles (this is after the sets with the bar, which are to get pliable). Also note that he says warmups still must be individualized etc (just some framework to use)

I see nothing crazy about your warmup and i think you overthink it.

What id suggest is (if you want to change it)
    Bar for whatever sets you feel like on that day
    5x135
    3x225
    1x265

Also rippetoe has made an app that calculates warmup if you feel you want something like that.
    Last edited by Tennisgolfboll; 11-04-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast