starting strength gym

Thread: I inflicted one of the dumbest injuries ever upon myself

Default I inflicted one of the dumbest injuries ever upon myself

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    There's little green weighted ball at my gym that no one ever uses. Must weigh about 2 pounds. Since no one uses it I used to put it in front of me while I squatted to give me something to look at so I wouldn't look up.

A couple of weeks ago I was walking over to the Power Rack and made a backstroke motion with my left arm to loosen up my shoulder a little. Forgot the little green ball was in my hand. Felt a twinge that didn't bother me much until a couple weeks later. That shoulder feels a little weak now when I raise my arm. Not really a pain, but it doesn't feel normal and it definitely feels like heavy lifting could make it worse. Feel it a little something on the front and back of the shoulder.

Still plan to squat tomorrow but am going to lay the upper body stuff until it feels normal again. Makes me very mad to miss part of a workout. Somehow the fact that it was a dinky two pound ball I forgot I was holding makes it worse.

Real damn frustrated.

You might feel completely normal after a good warm up. If so, you could probably do really well just backing off a bit.
    What is your normal warm up routine for presses?

I use that warm up calculator from the SS wiki and follow it dutifully, so I do a lot of warm up reps. I would really like to convince myself that I just need to warm up, but even lifting household items just the right way causes the sensation. Trust me, I would like to give it a whirl but my intuition tells me I'll make it worse. My two day break is Thursday and Friday so I'm hoping it feels normal Saturday.

Rotator cuff?

Could try the Starr rehab protocol for presses for a couple of weeks.