starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello,
    I didn't follow the rules and posted multiple videos last time. This time i'm only including the one that i have the most problems with the squat. Some background, I'm a 42 year old Park Ranger living in Tennessee. I've spent the bulk of my leisure time training for cycling and a few triathlons (lots of swimming, biking and running). To be honest i'm not really that good at any of them since i'm a big buy (6'3" 290 lbs) so after years of subjecting myself to hours upon hours of endurance activities ive decided to give weight lifting a try. Clearly i need to lose alot of weight and with starving myself and running and biking I can remember lifting weights about 20 years ago but really no more than a few weeks with a buddy so i feel i'm the epitome of a novice.
    I'm beginning my 3rd week of LP next week and feel like everything is going pretty well. I've watched a lot of the videos that you all have provided on your website and i purchased the book and have read it entirely.
    I feel like i have issues getting into the proper position even after reading and watching everything. I have extreme tightness in my shoulders i'm assuming and before i begin the squat i stretch my shoulders the best i can. Still i feel like its not in the correct position and my wrists feel like they are bent and not close to a straight line with my forearms.

( )

I've looked for a nearby coach and the nearest one is a 6 hour trip one way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Ryan
    (Huntingdon, TN)

Hey Ryan
    Have you gone through the process of becoming verified per the sticky at the top?

I wasn't verified however i am now. SOrry for the confusion and mistakes on my part.

No worries. Glad it's cleared up.

Your grip looks narrow for how tight you say your shoulders are. Take a thumbs on top grip to start and widen it so that you can get the bar a little lower on your back. Start the bar on top of the traps, then slide forward against it until you feel it "catch" in the groove between the spine of the scaps and the rear delts. The issue may be that you have a little more meat up top, so you really have to feel for it. Once you get the bar in the right spot, you'll be able to lean over without feeling the bar is going to roll up your neck.

The squats themselves are high. Drive your knees out and sit your butt back away from your feet. You may have to a take a slightly wider stance than normal to accommodate your "abs" and get the thighs out of the way. Either way, the knees could go out more.

Take a look at the videos in our youtube channel about the grip for the squat. Then also start incorporating this into your regular routine to get the shoulders to loosen up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Your grip looks narrow for how tight you say your shoulders are. Take a thumbs on top grip to start and widen it so that you can get the bar a little lower on your back. Start the bar on top of the traps, then slide forward against it until you feel it "catch" in the groove between the spine of the scaps and the rear delts. The issue may be that you have a little more meat up top, so you really have to feel for it. Once you get the bar in the right spot, you'll be able to lean over without feeling the bar is going to roll up your neck.
    I'll work on that and try to get the bar in the correct position!

The squats themselves are high. Drive your knees out and sit your butt back away from your feet. You may have to a take a slightly wider stance than normal to accommodate your "abs" and get the thighs out of the way. Either way, the knees could go out more.
    I suspected they were a little high. I have tried to go lower however when i do everything goes to shit. I'll take your advice and try to fine tune my stance until i get where i should be.

accommodate your "abs"
    HaHa...never have seen my abs...maybe one day. They currently just get in the way during the squat

Take a look at the videos in our youtube channel about the grip for the squat. Then also start incorporating this into your regular routine to get the shoulders to loosen up.
    Nice! I'll start doing these immediately.

Thanks for your advice!!
    Ryan