starting strength gym

Thread: Clean form question

Default Clean form question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

I was reading through MOMG and came across a discussion about cleans (top of pg. 35). During the discussion you say:

Shitty bars are more common in most gyms than good bars, and lots of people have learned to clean with them. They are mainly a problem for people who have learned to lift on good bars that find themselves having to lift on a bar that won't spin, because they're out of town, at a strange gym, etc. Shitty bars can be managed easily if you understand how to use your grip correctly when you rack the bar. Oly WL coaches tend to be rather elitist about some things, especially if they happen to sell equipment.
    I found the original thread here: http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ead.php?t=7485

Anyway, I'm curious at to what you mean when you say that shitty bars can be managed if you use your grip correctly when you rack the bar. I occasionally get stuck with a bar in my gym that doesn't spin and it feels shitty when I power clean with it. Is there some way to deal with this?

Sure: as you rack it, you let the bar spin in your hands instead of depending of the bar to spin in its sleeves. An acquired skill, it takes about 2 sets.

Thanks for this tip. I have been putting off joining this gym because they have only shitty siezed up bars.

Maybe it wont be so bad after all.

You'll be fine.