starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick programming question

Default quick programming question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello coaches,

During the back off period, do you increase the weight by 10 lbs for squats and deadlifts, and 5 for presses, etc. Or, do you increase by 5 and 2.5 like the example in the PPFST book?

Coach Baker had been helping me out with this, but I think he's super busy lately and hasn't gotten a chance to get back to me.

Thanks in advance

The back-off period from what? On what program?

More information.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    The back-off period from what? On what program?

More information.
    The back off period for Starting Strength. Sorry, I had assumed that since this was the Starting Strength forum section that I didn't have to be more specific. I had read that there is to be a programmed back off period after the first stall for all lifts, where you reduce the weight by about 10 percent and make jumps back to the weight you had been stuck at previously in order to continue LP. To be clear, this is not a back off period for being ill or greedy, but for a true stall. My question is about how big those jumps should be.

Male, 6', 225, 27yo

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    The back off period for Starting Strength. Sorry, I had assumed that since this was the Starting Strength forum section that I didn't have to be more specific.
    You mean your current program is the Starting Strength linear progression. That single program is not synonymous with the Starting Strength Model - the techniques are applied across trainees of different levels of advancement.

Yes. Thank you for helping me understand. Sorry for not being more clear. My question is about the back off period described in PPFST, where it explains that once the first true stall occurs with the linear progression, a back off period should commence. My question is whether the jumps back up are in 10 lb increments for squats and deadlifts and 5 lb increments for presses and power cleans, or, are they 5 lb jumps for squats and deadlifts and 2.5 for presses and power cleans, which is what the example in PPFST gives. I have heard both so I was looking for clarification. Thank you again for your time.

If it's your first TRUE STALL, then I would continue to try the higher increment, because you want to try and maintain as large an increase as possible for as long as possible, and the rest you get during the back-off will assist in carrying past the previous stall, PROVIDED YOU EAT.

Post your stats (starting weights / current weights, and starting bodyweight / current bodyweight, age and height).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    If it's your first TRUE STALL, then I would continue to try the higher increment, because you want to try and maintain as large an increase as possible for as long as possible, and the rest you get during the back-off will assist in carrying past the previous stall, PROVIDED YOU EAT.

Post your stats (starting weights / current weights, and starting bodyweight / current bodyweight, age and height).
    Male, 6', 225lbs, 27yo.
    Starting weight: 155
    Starting poundage: squat - 95; deadlift - 125; BP - 105; OHP - 65; PC - 85
    Current poundage: squat 265, failed at 270 for two sessions in a row; deadlift 345, failed at 350 for 2 sessions; bench press 180; OHP 130; PC - 120
    ***Note: made programming error by not starting PC until recently, instead of at the beginning of the program. Added 5 lbs to the deadlift every workout until stall at 350. Back off weights for squat and deadlift and taken from 10 percent of most recent 3 x 5, with 240 for squat and 310 for deadlift. Deadlift is now done alternating with the PC.

Cals/protein consumed: 2900 to 3200 training days, 26 - 29 off days. 200+ grams of protein.

Ok, sounds good. I will take the larger jumps, but wouldn't taking the smaller jumps allow for more rest and a longer LP once the weight you stalled at was met again? Just curious. Thanks for all your help

Since you would be getting more rest, I mean, because the jumps would be smaller

starting strength coach development program
    Just wanted to say, if it's useful information, that I did the ten pound jumps for squats and deadlifts today, and though they felt a little lighter than they did the first time around, they were heavy enough to make me wonder how the heck I was going to make 5 lb jumps again once I got back to 270. Do you think I was just having a bad day and I don't know what I'm talking about (I don't really, I guess), or should I switch to 5 lb jumps? Sorry I don't mean to be annoying by continuing to post questions...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast