starting strength gym

Thread: Press Check

Default Press Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Can anyone give me any insight to my press and what I could be doing better?

Thanks in advance.

https://vimeo.com/71137600

Note: I just realized that the last set here is incorrectly my last warm up set and not the final set of my work set. My mistake.

I have presses again today. Can anyone give me any pointers to dial my form in more?

I'm just starting out myself but one thing I noticed is that you're looping the bar around your face. Remember that in all of these exercises a straight bar path is the most efficient one. You need to look up when the bar is on your shoulders to get your head out of the way and then aim just in front of your chin. Push it above your head then look forward and pull your body back under the bar to finish the rep. You're also pulling your chin down to your chest after the bar is over your head. That's probably not too great for your neck. Try to look at a spot on the wall after you bring your head back down.

I disagree a little. I'd keep a neutral cervical spine - look at a spot on the wall in front of you during the entire rep - and get your head out of the way by shooting your hips forward; your head will go back, but your neck will stay neutral. You don't want to be jacking your neck around with a load overhead, and it helps your stay in balance to have a constant reference point.

I hadn't seen these responses till after I did my next set. Here they are. I was actually trying to not move the bar around my head. I think it's better in that respect though probably not perfect.

https://vimeo.com/71475239