starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting with Adipower

Default Deadlifting with Adipower

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Do you think this is a good idea?
    Till today I used to Squat with Adipower and DL with Allstars to shorten the ROM but I've heard some people suggesting that Adipower will improve my deadlift.

What do you think?

Yes.

Do the analysis. Hard sole, lifted heel, stabilized foot via strap.

Rippetoe on this:

Going Deeper into the Deadlift | EliteFTS

Middle of the article.

Thanks mate! I'll be sure to do my next deadlift session with Adipower

I was just reading this the other day, because I was considering going to flat shoes from my Adidas Powerlift 2s. The Adidas heel is relatively low, so it's right there in the sweet spot that gets you good back extension and helps get the quads involved just that much more.

I think using Rips deadlift set up a heel definitely helps and I used Adipowers for this over the last few years. Now changed my set up with lower hips and a few other tweaks I use these Reebok CrossFit Lite Lo TR - Grey | Reebok GB and have deadlifted 600 and am on track to pull 625 @195.

I've worn my Adipowers for Deadlifts, but prefer to use my 1" boards for my deficit heights.

For me it wasn't a good idea. I pull less in heeled shoes. Since your feet are on a small ramp, I think it is easier for the bar to get forward (for me that was the case). You also are pulling over a slightly longer ROM. Now they aren't bad if you are doing some sort of deficit deadlifts or assistance deadlift work. I do think a majority of people would pull more in a good flat shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I was just reading this the other day, because I was considering going to flat shoes from my Adidas Powerlift 2s. The Adidas heel is relatively low, so it's right there in the sweet spot that gets you good back extension and helps get the quads involved just that much more.
    I deadlift in my Powerlift 2s.

I lift in Pendlay (Do-Win, 3/4" heel) and I always feel that I'm not locked out @ the top of my deadlifts (355lbsx5x1). However, with no heel I feel that I "stand up" all the way. Both methods show full lockout on video.

starting strength coach development program
    I've found that most people can get into a good start position better with a heel; the benefits of the hard non-compressible sole, arch support, stabilized foot, and slightly shortened hams and closed knee angle at the bottom outweigh the small extra ROM that the heel requires pulling through.

But not everybody. Some people do better with a flat shoe or no shoes. I'm always trying to look at this with fresh eyes and am less reluctant to take people out of their shoes than I used to be, but I still find it useful to have the standard starting point be to pull with lifting shoes, and some individuals will eventually take them off and do better that way. Occasionally I come across someone whose anthropometry makes it difficult to even get into a good position with the shoes, so those people will take them off right away. But those cases are rare.

Personally, I've pulled in minimal shoes, first generation pendlay do-wins, no shoes, nike romaleos, and the rogue 1/2" do-wins. My order of preference of those is rogue 1/2" > old pendlay do-wins > romaleos > minimal shoes > no shoes. But that's just me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast