starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting for the Elderly

Default Squatting for the Elderly

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach,

I'm 42, 6'2", 225. I started SS(alternating A & B workouts) a month ago & my squat is stalled @ 215(yes, I'm a pussy). I did 215x5,4,3 on Friday & only got 4,3,2 today.

I've been getting enough sleep and food.

My deadlift(245),bench(185) and press(110) feel like I have a ways to go before a reset. I'm new to Power Cleans(110), so I started very light & it will be quite a while before that stalls.

Should I reset the squat or cut back on squat volume on Wednesdays?

If you're sure you're eating enough (I am not sure of that) and that you are resting enough between sets (maybe 7-8 minutes) then you have taken jumps on the squat that you cannot sustain. Back up and take smaller jumps.

Thanks--I've been resting less than 4 minutes between work sets. I'll reset & rest more. Should I be resting that much between work sets on the other lifts?

Also, would some grip training between squat work sets be OK?

You rest long enough between each set of every exercise to completely recover from the fatigue of the previous set, but not so long that you're cold. Save your grip stuff for later.

The thread title says Squatting for the Elderly and the OP is only 42..Since when is 42 elderly?

Concerning rest periods between sets...I read an article I believe from Bill Starr some place about rest between sets and it says to rest long enough until your not breathing like your out of gas that should be time enough to resume the next set and not so long you've gone cold.

This has worked for me at 49 and will work for an elderly 42 year old

Instead of worrying about the clock I have found concentrating on my breathing bringing it down which is your cardio output I get my sets in within 3 to 5 minutes.

Before when I would concentrate on the clock I would get anxious resulting in more rest time beyond 5 minutes between sets. Now my theory is as I would feel hurried watching the clock and feeling hurried this results in unsatisfactory rest times resulting in your concentration being screwed for the next set and when your concentration is screwed your risk of injury increases.

So now I relax sit my butt down feeling my breathing bringing it back to normal and when it's back to normal I get my ass up and ready for the next set.

Key points...Concentrate on breathing not the clock..

Makes sense don't it?

Powerflifter48

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerflifter48 View Post
    The thread title says Squatting for the Elderly and the OP is only 42..Since when is 42 elderly?

Concerning rest periods between sets...I read an article I believe from Bill Starr some place about rest between sets and it says to rest long enough until your not breathing like your out of gas that should be time enough to resume the next set and not so long you've gone cold.

This has worked for me at 49 and will work for an elderly 42 year old

Instead of worrying about the clock I have found concentrating on my breathing bringing it down which is your cardio output I get my sets in within 3 to 5 minutes.

Before when I would concentrate on the clock I would get anxious resulting in more rest time beyond 5 minutes between sets. Now my theory is as I would feel hurried watching the clock and feeling hurried this results in unsatisfactory rest times resulting in your concentration being screwed for the next set and when your concentration is screwed your risk of injury increases.

So now I relax sit my butt down feeling my breathing bringing it back to normal and when it's back to normal I get my ass up and ready for the next set.

Key points...Concentrate on breathing not the clock..

Makes sense don't it?

Powerflifter48
    Well, technically, 42 became elderly a month ago when I began SS--prior to that it was 65. It's very encouraging that a 49 year old hits the weights, and uses the internet.

For time between sets I have a cheapo($10 well spent) Timex with a timer that I wear when I train to keep track--don't have to eyeball the clock that way. I use it as a guide, not an absolute. I will definitely concentrate more on my breathing.

I appreciate the input, and, if you have been at this a while, I'll take whatever pearls of wisdom you have--send me a PM.

Thanks