starting strength gym

Thread: Reverse Hyper Extensions

Question Reverse Hyper Extensions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Are they a good assistance exercise? if so how often? days/wk x sets x reps

Should I use them for back rehab? if so how often? days/wk x sets x reps

Should I build my own? or drop the crazy amount of cash to by one?

I do them 3x8 after Squat/Press/PC days, I wouldn't be able to recommend them either way for back rehab. If you're rehabbing your back but still doing a regular SS type workout I'd leave them out. However if you're not able to pull/squat I THINK they'd be a good addition to a workout. I wouldn't drop crazy cash (what's crazy cash) on the thing, but $200 or so probably wouldn't be a terrible investment. A roman chair I think it's called, is also great for ab work.

If you have welding/metalworking skills, I'm sure you could build yourself one pretty cheaply and it'd be more solid than most of the commercial setups you'd be able to afford.
    Last edited by jayknow05; 03-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks Jay, I checked online and price ranges from $750-2400USD + shipping and handleing.

I will probably design and build my own...

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Are they a good assistance exercise? if so how often? days/wk x sets x reps

Should I use them for back rehab? if so how often? days/wk x sets x reps

Should I build my own? or drop the crazy amount of cash to by one?
    If you listen to Louie Simmons, they are an excellent exercise. He does them almost every day, often more than once a day. However, he probably isn't pushing max weights when doing them that frequently. If I were you, I would check around at local gyms and see if they will let you try one out. They are not that common, so you might have to call a few places. See how they feel for you. If you like it, then the $700 for a Rogue Reverse Hyper would probably be cheap compared to going to a physio.

"Are they a good assistance exercise?" This depends on your particular weaknesses. WHat are they?

"if so how often? days/wk x sets x reps" What are your goals? Where are you at now?

"Should I build my own? or drop the crazy amount of cash to by one?" How much money do you have, how good are you at building stuff

Jamie, all valid and important questions.
    I typically "hurt" my lower back a couple of times a year, which typically takes me out of commission for 5-7 days. Some of it is caused by bad form and some of it happens in the real world.

I would like to get my lower back strong enough that it can tolerate small imperfections in lifting form and real world tasks. I currently am on the novice SS program and would like to safely get to a 400 pound dl this year.

The bank has a lot of money, me not so much and yes I have the skills to build said equipment time is more of an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Thanks Jay, I checked online and price ranges from $750-2400USD + shipping and handleing.

I will probably design and build my own...
    I googled "roman chair" and I found a lot like this for ~$200. Probably not the sturdiest/heavy duty thing in the world, so if you have the skills it might be a good weekend project.

Quote Originally Posted by jayknow05 View Post
    I googled "roman chair" and I found a lot like this for ~$200. Probably not the sturdiest/heavy duty thing in the world, so if you have the skills it might be a good weekend project.
    Not quite what I am looking for. The reverse hyperextension "machine" the upper body is held stationary and the legs "swing' below parallel to past vertical and can be attached to a pendulum that holds plates. I am not exactly a forrum wizard or I would attach a link to Rogue fitness or another site...

http://www.westside-barbell.com/reverse-hyper/ I now see what you're talking about. I'm not sure what the difference would be between a "reverse-hyper" and a "hyperextension" besides the machine you use and what is moving (legs or upper body). I always do hypers and hold onto a plate or put a bar on my back.

starting strength coach development program
    Between now and the time you've built one, you can do reverse hypers by placing a swiss ball on a bench. Hard to load this easily, but you can try a dumbbell between the feet, or bands behind your ankles and anchored to the bench.